Applying w/o PM&R Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three letters, but no PM&R letter specifically. Considering a pretty stable/solid app portfolio, how much of an issue would this be?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a curious question. I see from your previous posts that you have expressed interest in psychiatry and radiology. How big an issue would it be if you chose to apply for radiology without a radiology letter?

I'd say PM&R is no different.

Whether you are truly interested in PM&R, or it's your backup as ihaveaquestion is implying, the question you asked is still a good one that may help others down the line. So here's my 2cents:

Not having a letter of recommendation from a physiatrist is sometimes okay. It does make us wonder why, but the right excuse can be acceptable. If, for instance, you were at a med school that didn't have a PM&R program or a PM&R department, and so your exposure to physiatry was from private practice docs in the community; nothing formal, but you enjoyed your time shadowing them and picking their brains (yada yada yada). In that case, not getting a PM&R letter of rec is understandable.

However, if you did a formal PM&R rotation for greater than 2 weeks with the same attending, and don't have a LOR from them, that will certainly raise the red flag to us.

OR, if your application with LORs was submitted to ERAS in Aug, but you just had a PM&R rotation in Oct, then of course that's understandable too. But in that case, I'd try to get that letter and bring it to any interviews you happen to get.

Now, just like any specialty, don't expect that kind of leeway from the top (more competitive) programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Unfortunately, third year only allows for one selective for two weeks. Makes it almost impossible to get first hand experience in other fields, and come to an educated decision on other fields which may be good fits. Moreover, ERAS submissions occur prior to 4th year rotations. Not an ideal schedule of events, in my opinion. Thanks for the advice re LOR's and ERAS timing, dc2MD.

Last edited:
What state is your medical school in, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure if you could somehow get letter writers or Deans letter to acknowledge the difficulty of setting up this rotation. Just be prepared to answer if you were not able to do a rotation, then why are you picking PM&R?

I agree with DC2MD, access and ability to receive good exposure to the field is a major challenge for our field.