Applying with a certificate GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDPT/DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I hope your interview season has been going well! I had an interesting question to ask all of you: Can I re-apply to DPT school after completing a graduate certification course at another university? For example, I'm thinking about strengthening my application for next year by getting a post-baccalaureate certificate in mental health after I graduate this summer. I think getting a better background with mental health would help me a lot with neurological physical therapy, which is the specialty I want to go into. Since the certificate consists of about 24 credit hours with actual grades, I was wondering if I could use the grades from this certification course to calculate my GPA when re-applying to DPT school? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this or tried it themselves? Or, would I have better luck with just doing a Master's program before re-applying? I am reluctant to do a Master's simply because I wouldn't actually be using it to get a job, so it would take up a lot of time and money just for me to end up going to DPT school right after, anyway. Certification courses are much shorter and cheaper.

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the certification grades will go into your cum GPA. It would just be as if you took random classes in any subject after graduation. Be careful to prioritize this certificate over retaking pre req courses though. Re taking pre req courses may be more valuable in strengthening your application. I don't generally recommend doing a full masters either, just to apply to PT school.

Yes, the certification grades will go into your cum GPA. It would just be as if you took random classes in any subject after graduation. Be careful to prioritize this certificate over retaking pre req courses though. Re taking pre req courses may be more valuable in strengthening your application. I don't generally recommend doing a full masters either, just to apply to PT school.

Thank you so much! That really helps. I do plan on re-taking at least a couple of pre-req courses next year if I don't get accepted this cycle just to make the most of my time.