applying without all prereq's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammi345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have some questions regarding applying to pharmacy school.
If I apply for pharmacy school to get in for the fall of 2009 semster, Do I need to have all my prerequisites finished BEFORE I apply?
That is what I saw while searching online.
I plan to finish organic chemistry this summer (2008) and taking the PCAT in August or October.

I will have to take 2 humanity type classes, and physics 1 & 2 and possibly Human Anatomy and Physiology(depending on the school) in the fall of 2008 ,and spring of 2009.

Can I do this? Can I apply to the pharmacy school this year even without taking these particular prerequisites? I hear physics is not on the PCAT, and I will have taken all the math, biology and chemistry requirements before taking the PCAT. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

If I apply for pharmacy school to get in for the fall of 2009 semster, Do I need to have all my prerequisites finished BEFORE I apply?
I plan to finish organic chemistry this summer (2008) and taking the PCAT in August or October.

I will have to take 2 humanity type classes, and physics 1 & 2 and possibly Human Anatomy and Physiology(depending on the school) in the fall of 2008 ,and spring of 2009.

Can I do this? Can I apply to the pharmacy school this year even without taking these particular prerequisites? I hear physics is not on the PCAT, and I will have taken all the math, biology and chemistry requirements before taking the PCAT. Any help would be appreciated.

Usually pharmacy schools require pre-reqs to be completed before you start pharmacy school. Sometimes they require them to be complete the spring before you start, sometimes summer. I would suggest looking at the websites for the schools that you wish to apply to and making sure that this is the case. Try to get most of the science courses (and calc) complete before taking the PCAT. It will help tremendously. Other than that, you should be fine with the course of action you have planned out.

Hello,

yeah i got a similar problem here. A response to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I know that on my PharmCas application there was a section for me to go ahead and fill in what I was taking spring and summer after I applied. What then happened was that I was conditionally accepted on the bases that I would sucessfully complete the rest of the classes. So no, you do not have to complete them by the time you apply, but will have to complete them in order to be able to start classes.

Hello,

You don't need to have all your prerequisites done when your applying to pharmacy school. However some schools require a certain amount of science courses to be completed so they can calculate your science gpa. As long as you finish all your classes by the end of spring semester you should be fine.

You don't need to have all your prerequisites done when your applying to pharmacy school. However some schools require a certain amount of science courses to be completed so they can calculate your science gpa. As long as you finish all your classes by the end of spring semester you should be fine.

If i was applying for fall 2009 what should i start out by doing? Signing up for pharmcas? Signing up for pcat? Getting letter of reqs? Any idea what I should start out by doing?

1. No, you do not need to have all of your pre-reqs completed prior to filling out the application. Some schools have specific requirements on what they want completed for GPA calculations to know where you fall competitively, but that information should be on their website. It is recommended that you have at least started Organic 1 by the time you take the PCAT, because the chemistry section is 40% organic. Also, A&P would be beneficial, but not necessary.

2. As for what you need to do first, it is kind of up to you. PharmCAS opens in June. PCAT is offered in June (or July, I can't remember), August, October, and January (January is usually the last scores that will be accepted). Do some research on the schools you want to apply. Most schools have a checklist of things you have to complete for them. Only the school can tell you how they want things to happen.

If i was applying for fall 2009 what should i start out by doing? Signing up for pharmcas? Signing up for pcat? Getting letter of reqs? Any idea what I should start out by doing?

If I were you I would start on the hardest part writing your personal statement, and go on to each schools website and download there application so you can begin answering there questions. For example I applied to Western University and I got there application from the previous year and answered the questions, then when the correct application came out I had all the answers ready. Start asking your professors, or whoever, if they will write you a letter and keep on reminding them so once pharmcas opens for your cycle you can hand them the questionnaire form they need to fill out and attach with your letter of recommendation. Lastly send in your transcripts as soon as pharmcas opens, and submit all of your applications, including pharmcas EARLY!!!

Well, my friend did not finish his History course by the end of Summer 2007 and was told by Pharmacy that it was alright and as long as he took it the next summer, he would be fine.

I wish the same would have been done for me, except I didn't finish Organic II.

Well, my friend did not finish his History course by the end of Summer 2007 and was told by Pharmacy that it was alright and as long as he took it the next summer, he would be fine.

I wish the same would have been done for me, except I didn't finish Organic II.

There is a difference between a useless history course that has no relation to science whatsoever and organic 2 which is like one of the most basic science courses.

Still, the only Organic you need to know for Medicinal Chemistry is understanding the structures and how to name them. Unless you're doing synthetic research, which you will not be doing as a student, there is no need for Organic 2.

Most of the stuff you will ever need is learned within the first 3 chapters.

Except the one thing I have found is that, none of the professors at my school taught Fischer Projections, which oddly enough are on the MCAT and PCAT.

Still, the only Organic you need to know for Medicinal Chemistry is understanding the structures and how to name them. Unless you're doing synthetic research, which you will not be doing as a student, there is no need for Organic 2.

Most of the stuff you will ever need is learned within the first 3 chapters.

Except the one thing I have found is that, none of the professors at my school taught Fischer Projections, which oddly enough are on the MCAT and PCAT.

Would you stop complaining already about having to take organic 2 in every other thread, it's a sophmore level class for God's sake. ( I swear this must be like thread # 10 of your Organic Odyssey)

You realize to someone who majored in chemistry like myself you whining abot having to take organic two for pharmacy school is painfull to read. :cool:

This is why I think BS in chemistry/biochemistry should be mandatory for applying, then people won't complain non-stop about having to take an extra sophmore level class.

Would you stop complaining already about having to take organic 2 in every other thread, it's a sophmore level class for God's sake. ( I swear this must be like thread # 10 of your Organic Odyssey)

You realize to someone who majored in chemistry like myself you whining abot having to take organic two for pharmacy school is painfull to read. :cool:

This is why I think BS in chemistry/biochemistry should be mandatory for applying, then people won't complain non-stop about having to take an extra sophmore level class.

Lol! :laugh: