Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm almost all done with college. I started out slow and worked my butt of to get to a 3.55 GPA, higher in science more toward a 3.6 with a strong upward trend. I do a ton of extra curricular activities I coach youth basketball started my own club organization at school volunteer at a hospital and worked as a pharmacist technician for 2 years. My only draw back is I recently took the Mcat and got a 498 I heard of people getting into school with that. What should I do apply or retake the Mcat

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm almost all done with college. I started out slow and worked my butt of to get to a 3.55 GPA, higher in science more toward a 3.6 with a strong upward trend. I do a ton of extra curricular activities I coach youth basketball started my own club organization at school volunteer at a hospital and worked as a pharmacist technician for 2 years. My only draw back is I recently took the Mcat and got a 498 I heard of people getting into school with that. What should I do apply or retake the Mcat
That is a very good GPA and the MCAT is just slightly low. Someone just showed me this chart

To be honest, if studied, found out why you did poorly, and take it again with a decent amount of studying, then I say retake. As it stands, you aren't in the worst shape but your MCAT score does hurt you a lot because you are around 45th percentile which is kind of low.

I would say if you can retake it soon and do very well(502+) then go for it. If you don't think you can, I'm not really sure if you should apply. While the INDEX says you are competitive, you don't exactly have the best chances and I would probably say retake IF you feel you fixed your weaknesses. So really depends on why you got the 498. If you barely studied, then that might of been it. If you studied a ton, then you might want to figure out why that occurred even when studying so much.

I'm going to tag @Goro and @DrMikeP to give their opinion on the matter

Attachments

• DO Competitiveness Index .docx
    137.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
That is a very good GPA and the MCAT is just slightly low. Someone just showed me this chart

To be honest, if studied, found out why you did poorly, and take it again with a decent amount of studying, then I say retake. As it stands, you aren't in the worst shape but your MCAT score does hurt you a lot because you are around 45th percentile which is kind of low.

I would say if you can retake it soon and do very well(502+) then go for it. If you don't think you can, I'm not really sure if you should apply. While the INDEX says you are competitive, you don't exactly have the best chances.

Thank man, I appreciate it. I spoke to a few buddies they liked my chances because they tell me of people they know with my stats who have got into MSU or Oakland University because of the whole more holistic approach, but at the same time I don't like taking low chances, so I figured to get more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank man, I appreciate it. I spoke to a few buddies they liked my chances because they tell me of people they know with my stats who have got into MSU or Oakland University because of the whole more holistic approach, but at the same time I don't like taking low chances, so I figured to get more info.
Sorry I edited above. I would say retake BUT it depends on why you got a 498. If you got that because you didn't really study much. Then study a good amount and re-take, if you studied a ton but got a 498, then you really need to fix what happened during that exam.

However I have heard of ppl getting 498, many schools do have a 500 minimum and <500 is becoming less and less normal. Now a 500 is kind of low for DO and most schools are saying 502+ is the new number. However I am new, so I am just going off what I've been reading. The guys I tagged above are really experienced, so they'll let you know!.

Cheers!

I would say if you can retake it soon and do very well(502+) then go for it. If you don't think you can, I'm not really sure if you should apply. While the INDEX says you are competitive, you don't exactly have the best chances and I would probably say retake IF you feel you fixed your weaknesses. So really depends on why you got the 498. If you barely studied, then that might of been it. If you studied a ton, then you might want to figure out why that occurred even when studying so much.

I know it sounds cliche but standardized tests and me don't mix well. I studied a ton and knew my material I just have trouble with standardized tests I feel if I start again and take my time again I can get into the 502 range I just wouldn't rush it, but the more opinions the better

Sorry I edited above. I would say retake BUT it depends on why you got a 498. If you got that because you didn't really study much. Then study a good amount and re-take, if you studied a ton but got a 498, then you really need to fix what happened during that exam.

However I have heard of ppl getting 498, many schools do have a 500 minimum and <500 is becoming less and less normal. Now a 500 is kind of low for DO and most schools are saying 502+ is the new number. However I am new, so I am just going off what I've been reading. The guys I tagged above are really experienced, so they'll let you know!.

Cheers!

Awesome thanks for all the help!

I can't recommend applying this cycle without a retake. You're DOA at my school and a number of others.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't recommend applying this cycle without a retake. You're DOA at my school and a number of others.

Sheesh. Even with other higher credentials? Ok I wouldn't to rush a retake I would want to take my time and feel confident about it but a 498 is a DOA even at DO schools?

I know it sounds cliche but standardized tests and me don't mix well. I studied a ton and knew my material I just have trouble with standardized tests I feel if I start again and take my time again I can get into the 502 range I just wouldn't rush it, but the more opinions the better

A 498 is very low and you will have little to no chance for MD. You have a very very small chance for DO with a 498 and at many DO schools you will not make the automatic cut offs. There are lots of discussions of which schools have cutoffs on SDN. Every year the standards get higher for MCAT admissions. Google the AACOM MCIB and look at the averages (they aren't decreasing). What are your actual sgpa scores? pattern in past year or 2?

The percentages in the charts can be very misleading as that may have been true 2 yrs ago but the numbers getting in with a 498/23-24 this cycle will be significantly lower. The data also doesn't show the exceptions that helped those get in with low scores in the past. Some have lots of healthcare experience, URM's, connections, unusual EC's, etc. There is often an extraneous positive factor that gets people accepted with lower scores.

Most people don't like my saying this, but the challenge is that almost everyone thinks that somehow their background, gpa, experiences, etc makes them an exception. However, most people are not the exception thus why 60% of people don't make it in! I didn't see much to make me say wow on your EC's/work/exp in what you posted so far. Your gpa is strong for DO, mostly avg for MD. DO you have DO experiences and LOR? If not that's a big negative.

If you do poorly on standardized tests then you will have a problem with steps/boards, which are critical to your med school/residency success. A school will not do anyone any favors letting someone in who wont pass. So what made your MCAT so low? Sections all low across the board or was it one that torpedoed your score? (e.g. CARS like a 16th %ile?) Did you take Biochem? To maximize your chances you need to retake the MCAT, BUT the worse mistake you can make it to retake it before you're ready.

I'd really need much more info to say what type of chance you'd have to get accepted at a small handful of schools or what you would need to do to fix your MCAT.

Good Luck

Sheesh. Even with other higher credentials? Ok I wouldn't to rush a retake I would want to take my time and feel confident about it but a 498 is a DOA even at DO schools?
Your score is ~24 on the old scale. This is below virtually every DO school's average MCAT in the country

However, you may have some luck at these schools: VCOM, KYCOM, WCU-COM, ARCOM, UIWCOM, NYIT-AR, LUCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, BCOM, ACOM.

Don't waste your money applying to MD schools.

Also, if that is you in your user pic, I recommend changing it to remain anonymous.

A 498 is very low and you will have little to no chance for MD. You have a very very small chance for DO with a 498 and at many DO schools you will not make the automatic cut offs. There are lots of discussions of which schools have cutoffs on SDN. Every year the standards get higher for MCAT admissions. Google the AACOM MCIB and look at the averages (they aren't decreasing). What are your actual sgpa scores? pattern in past year or 2?

The percentages in the charts can be very misleading as that may have been true 2 yrs ago but the numbers getting in with a 498/23-24 this cycle will be significantly lower. The data also doesn't show the exceptions that helped those get in with low scores in the past. Some have lots of healthcare experience, URM's, connections, unusual EC's, etc. There is often an extraneous positive factor that gets people accepted with lower scores.

Most people don't like my saying this, but the challenge is that almost everyone thinks that somehow their background, gpa, experiences, etc makes them an exception. However, most people are not the exception thus why 60% of people don't make it in! I didn't see much to make me say wow on your EC's/work/exp in what you posted so far. Your gpa is strong for DO, mostly avg for MD. DO you have DO experiences and LOR? If not that's a big negative.

If you do poorly on standardized tests then you will have a problem with steps/boards, which are critical to your med school/residency success. A school will not do anyone any favors letting someone in who wont pass. So what made your MCAT so low? Sections all low across the board or was it one that torpedoed your score? (e.g. CARS like a 16th %ile?) Did you take Biochem? To maximize your chances you need to retake the MCAT, BUT the worse mistake you can make it to retake it before you're ready.

I'd really need much more info to say what type of chance you'd have to get accepted at a small handful of schools or what you would need to do to fix your MCAT.

Good Luck

My Mcat was all pretty similar
124 Chem
125 CARs
124 Bio
125 Psych

My science GPA is at minimum a 3.7 in my last two years. My upper level sciences are all pretty high, I took biochem I felt confident with the material just the format of the exam was tough. I think with more practice I could definitely crack over 500. Not much DO experience other than meeting with the school consulars and shadowing a few doctors. I know it sucks to hear that one exam can compromise 4 years of tireless work but I appreciate the honesty

Your score is ~24 on the old scale. This is below virtually every DO school's average MCAT in the country

However, you may have some luck at these schools: VCOM, KYCOM, WCU-COM, ARCOM, UIWCOM, NYIT-AR, LUCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, BCOM, ACOM.

Don't waste your money applying to MD schools.

Also, if that is you in your user pic, I recommend changing it to remain anonymous.

I wonder how people made it in with that score they must if stood out somewhere on that resume. Why would I want to be anonymous?

124 Chem
125 CARs
124 Bio
125 Psych

My science GPA is at minimum a 3.7 in my last two years. My upper level sciences are all pretty high, I took biochem I felt confident with the material just the format of the exam was tough. I think with more practice I could definitely crack over 500. Not much DO experience other than meeting with the school consulars and shadowing a few doctors. I know it sucks to hear that one exam can compromise 4 years of tireless work but I appreciate the honesty

It would have been easier if you'd had one weak MCAT area, but your sciences are actually the weakest. What is your total usgpa?

If you had more DO experience and a strong DO LOR I might say you'd have a shot this cycle but you have two weaknesses. The good news is that they can be overcome. The bad news is you need time to do such. Depending on you/your time perhaps you could study and retake in Nov and do a lot of shadowing and get a good DO letter and maybe make it in this cycle if you scored very well on the MCAT, BUT again don't retake the MCAT until ready!!! If you go from a 498 to 500 you just aren't going to get in with a late application. You should be making 505-510+ on practice mcats before trying a retake.

My goal is to be honest about chances and not just say things to make you feel good, so I hope my suggestions help.

Reactions: 1 user
124 Chem
125 CARs
124 Bio
125 Psych

I'm wondering, did you take a course like the Kaplan or princeton course? I studied by myself for a while and was doing terrible(around 483), I took the course and in 3 months, was at a 504(and that was tanking at a section which I usually get 80%+ correct). If you haven't looked at the courses, I would definitely say take a look at them because they helped me tremendously. It really showed me how to take a standardized test and how to study well. I took kaplan btw! I took over 13 full length exams lol

Edit: One more thing, I wasn't doing anything but studying for the Mcat for 3 months btw. It was around 6-8 hours a day(went up more on the last month) of studying every day(1 evening off a week). So I didn't do like 4 things at once, I was only focusing on the Mcat

Last edited:
I'm wondering, did you take a course like the Kaplan or princeton course? I studied by myself for a while and was doing terrible(around 483), I took the course and in 3 months, was at a 504(and that was tanking at a section which I usually get 80%+ correct). If you haven't looked at the courses, I would definitely say take a look at them because they helped me tremendously. It really showed me how to take a standardized test and how to study well. I took kaplan btw! I took over 13 full length exams lol

Edit: One more thing, I wasn't doing anything but studying for the Mcat for 3 months btw. It was around 6-8 hours a day(went up more on the last month) of studying every day(1 evening off a week). So I didn't do like 4 things at once, I was only focusing on the Mcat

I took Kaplan I found the material helpful but not the practice material much different than the real thing

It would have been easier if you'd had one weak MCAT area, but your sciences are actually the weakest. What is your total usgpa?

If you had more DO experience and a strong DO LOR I might say you'd have a shot this cycle but you have two weaknesses. The good news is that they can be overcome. The bad news is you need time to do such. Depending on you/your time perhaps you could study and retake in Nov and do a lot of shadowing and get a good DO letter and maybe make it in this cycle if you scored very well on the MCAT, BUT again don't retake the MCAT until ready!!! If you go from a 498 to 500 you just aren't going to get in with a late application. You should be making 505-510+ on practice mcats before trying a retake.

My goal is to be honest about chances and not just say things to make you feel good, so I hope my suggestions help.

3.6 total with a few more classes yeah it was overall bad it just sucks to hear I have to take it again but it's whatever there's nothing I want to be other than a physician I'll take the exam 1000 times if need be

3.6 total with a few more classes yeah it was overall bad it just sucks to hear I have to take it again but it's whatever there's nothing I want to be other than a physician I'll take the exam 1000 times if need be

That's the attitude! Just don't screw it up by doing poorly repeatedly and don't rush and be a reapplicant. Apply when you have the best app possible and you'll have a strong chance. Score a 510-515+ and you could even consider MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't do that. They usually don't want it more then 2 times, 3 times is pushing it if you aren't making progress. If you take it again, make sure you get at LEAST 3-4 points higher(so 502+) for next cycle and thats just minimum. Don't retake the exam a crap ton of times, it doesn't help you for med school if you take the test 1000 times and on the 1000th time, get a 506