Approach to diversity prompts

Started by scoops619
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scoops619

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, quick question about my approach to the diversity essay. I've read on here that this isn't necessarily a "what ethnicity are you?" question, but more of a "what is interesting about you"/"what makes you different"/"give the interviewer something to ask you about" question. I'm about as not-ethnically-diverse as someone can be, so in the vein of the latter interpretations of the prompt I was thinking of discussing either:
1. I have a prosthetic since I was a child as a result of a medical condition (could discuss identification with certain patient populations/appreciation for health and developing a sense of perspective as far as how good I've had it, all things considered)
2. I home brew beer (would only discuss this in the light of enjoying the cooking/recipes/different flavors/experimenting aspect)

Would either/both of these be appropriate topics for this kind of secondary question? Thanks!
 
wow, both of those sound really interesting and unique. pick the one you like best (assuming you're over 21 for the "taste-testing" in 2 😛 )?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think #1 sounds lovely.

As a side note, when people said that a diversity prompt is not a "tell me your race" prompt, they didn't mean that race should not be discussed under any circumstance for this prompt. Rather, they meant that merely being of some race or another doesn't add benefit to the class. It's fine to talk about race as long as you talk about how it influences you as a person and would bring benefit to an educational community. Basically, don't say something like: "Hey, I'm African-American! Isn't that cool?" without elaborating on how that would contribute to the community in a positive way.
 
Both are excellent subjects.


Hey everyone, quick question about my approach to the diversity essay. I've read on here that this isn't necessarily a "what ethnicity are you?" question, but more of a "what is interesting about you"/"what makes you different"/"give the interviewer something to ask you about" question. I'm about as not-ethnically-diverse as someone can be, so in the vein of the latter interpretations of the prompt I was thinking of discussing either:
1. I have a prosthetic since I was a child as a result of a medical condition (could discuss identification with certain patient populations/appreciation for health and developing a sense of perspective as far as how good I've had it, all things considered)
2. I home brew beer (would only discuss this in the light of enjoying the cooking/recipes/different flavors/experimenting aspect)

Would either/both of these be appropriate topics for this kind of secondary question? Thanks!
 
You can only discuss #2 if you bring me some first!
Talking too much about beer (especially as a primary interest) may be a red flag for adcoms. On one hand it could get read by someone who is also a home brewer in which case, this would be good. On the other hand, it could be read by someone who has serious issues with alcohol and this could sink you. Too risky. Best to stick with #1.
 
Talking too much about beer (especially as a primary interest) may be a red flag for adcoms. On one hand it could get read by someone who is also a home brewer in which case, this would be good. On the other hand, it could be read by someone who has serious issues with alcohol and this could sink you. Too risky. Best to stick with #1.

Well I was joking, but remember there is a difference between brewing and drinking it. ;-) It can take a while to brew anything decent.