Approaching a diversity essay from the perspective of what you have learned?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul202

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been suffering from severe writers block for the last week when it comes to prewriting my secondary essays, especially my diversity and challenges essay. When it comes to diversity, I am a white upper middle class male, and feel like I don't contribute much to diversity in general. I went to a very homogenous white high school, but had a sort of culture shock when I attended a major public university and actually was able to develop relationships with people different from me. I was thinking of approaching my essay from the perspective of someone who was once very ignorant when it came to racial issues (I have never been overtly racist but looking back I definitely committed micro transgressions, though white privlege was a hoax, stuff along those lines) but has been able to experience personal growth and change their perspective when it comes to being an ally for others. Do any of y'all feel like this could be a good way to approach it?

Members don't see this ad.

What’s a microtransgression?
Diversity isn’t about skin color. Your whiteness or maleness doesn’t make you any more diverse or less than anyone else. You are an individual. Talk about how your life experiences separate you from the thousands of other cookie cutter applicants and how they would contribute to an incoming cohort.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I have been suffering from severe writers block for the last week when it comes to prewriting my secondary essays, especially my diversity and challenges essay. When it comes to diversity, I am a white upper middle class male, and feel like I don't contribute much to diversity in general. I went to a very homogenous white high school, but had a sort of culture shock when I attended a major public university and actually was able to develop relationships with people different from me. I was thinking of approaching my essay from the perspective of someone who was once very ignorant when it came to racial issues (I have never been overtly racist but looking back I definitely committed micro transgressions, though white privlege was a hoax, stuff along those lines) but has been able to experience personal growth and change their perspective when it comes to being an ally for others. Do any of y'all feel like this could be a good way to approach it?
The essay is for what you bring to a Class.

You're supposed to get along with and be tolerant of all people!

Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
@TwoHighways I meant *microaggression - I must have had a brain fart while writing my post. Good point, I think I am approaching the question the wrong way. I will try to shift my perspective

@Goro You're definitely right, thank you for pointing this out. I don't want to come off as an applicant that thinks he is high and mighty simply for something that should be expected anyway. I will keep this in mind while drafting my essays.