Approaching the MCAT with TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spring888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be taking the MCAT in January for the 3rd time. The first two times, I think I focused too much on concepts and not enough on strategy and how to really approach the test. I ordered a whole new set of books from TBR, as I used EK and TPR the first two times and thought it would be helpful to kind of "start over" with new materials...However, since I have studied for the test so much I don't think I need to sit down and read the books from cover to cover. There are some concepts I should go over, but I'm wondering if I would be wasting my by sitting and re-reading about all concepts and if my time is better spent doing problems.

In any case, I guess the question is, What is the best way to go about using these new books in my situation? I have 3 months and want to get as much out of them as I can in the most beneficial way.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
taking their class right now... so they have set up their schedule into phase 1, 2, and 3.... read the chapter... divide their practice stuff at the end of each chapter into 3 sections... take one a day after you read the chapter, phase 2 a week after, and phase 3 a month or so after!

this is roughly the schedule, but it is correlated to the clases, but you can get the idea... plus I would personally mix the subjects and not tackle them one at the time, but that's just me!

Yeah definitely reread the topics, but it shouldn't take you long since you've seen them before; just do more practice than reading

plus you have plenty of time (that is if you are not doing a zillion of other things) but their books are def more advanced vs. TPR or EK, so I would def read the chapters... they have a lot of practical applications/scenarios of stuff you learn rather than just pure content... which I think helps a lot with MCAT passages

Yes I agree with above. I also think TPR book to be helpful because they can be really really tricky. Overall, I think that TBR makes you think in a smart way, and TPR requires you to read question stems very carefully in order to avoid simple tricks. Both are golden IMO. :rolleyes:

I am going to be taking the MCAT in January for the 3rd time.

However, since I have studied for the test so much I don't think I need to sit down and read the books from cover to cover.

Don't take shortcuts.

Sit down and do everything that needs to be done and go through to books meticulously. There is a reason your past 2 tests were not good enough. If you go through the books how you are supposed to, then you will get both practice/strategy and concepts. Don't try to take the easy way out and then find yourself posting about your 4th attempt in May.