Approaching the PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question for some kind folks here. If I approach my school's PD (ophtho), is it considered rude/tacky to gently ask if there is a way to be "assured" a spot? I know this is a difficult question, but assuming my board scores are good, grades are good, I am likeable, etc., is this at all reasonable?

It's not a competitive program, and to my knowledge no one in my class besides me is interested in this field.

Does anyone have any advice on this matter? I guess I'm hoping for a 'magical way' to tell the PD that I'm interested in STAYING at the school for residency and ascertaining if his program is interested in KEEPING me.

???????????????

Thanks, Frank

Members don't see this ad.

You can always ask questions like "Can you evaluate my application's competetiveness?", "How does my application compare with past students who have successfully matched at your program"? PD's are used to questions like this. Some PD's will straight out tell you that you will match (even though this is actually illegal), while others will just be vague about it and say that you are a good candidate.

The only way to ASSURE you a spot is to either offer you an out-of-match position or rank you within the top however number of spots are available in the program. Depending on your own profile, an out-of-match position may or may not be something your PD is willing to consider. Telling you that they will rank you within the first few spots may be a violation of the match rules.

You can also just tell him/her that you've seen what else is out there and that you really want to stay. That might go a long way and he might tell you want you want.

Originally posted by tofurious
The only way to ASSURE you a spot is to either offer you an out-of-match position or rank you within the top however number of spots are available in the program. Depending on your own profile, an out-of-match position may or may not be something your PD is willing to consider. Telling you that they will rank you within the first few spots may be a violation of the match rules.

Actually asking is a violation, but if either party volunteers the info, its supposed to be ok. Unfair, but ok.

Thanks, this is all some really good advice. I liked every idea presented!

Best wishes.

Just because your PD assures you that you will match doesn't mean you will.

The only way you can be ASSURED you will actually match there is 1) Out of match position
2) PD actually ranks you #1-X, X being the number of residency spots/year at that program.

Otherwise the match works it's magic and you might end up somewhere else.

That being said, many PDs will rank you based on how they think you will rank them. I would just tell him honestly: "Dr. PD, I am considering ranking you number one, but I'd like you to give me an honest evaluation of my competativeness."

Basically you're telling him you'll rank him #1 if he ranks you #1. After that, you may gently approach the subject of signing outside the match. I have many friends who have done this successfully.

Bigfrank, I am assuming you will be applying for ophtho next year. As someone who just went through the match, I want to tell you DO NOT beleive ANYTHING your PD or any other PD tells you. Those rank lists are put together in smoky dark rooms and only God knows what influeces their decisions.

An example of this would be a good buddy of mine who was probably in the top 5% of ophtho applicants this year. He really wanted to stay at his home school (top 5 ophtho department); over the years he established great connections, did a bunch of research, etc., etc. The PD pretty much made him feel that he is in. And guess what- he matched at his number 2 choice.

With this said, I will repeat again- DO NOT make plans based upon how your or any other PD makes you feel or what they tell you during the interview. I know it is frustrating, but it is reality