Appropriate Interview Discussion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was just wondering something. I've been volunteering at a hospital for a few months in the ER. I have met a few great doctors there, and had some ok experiences...BUT, I have noticed that a lot of the nurses are b*tches (not all, but a lot) to patients even, and that there are a few of the doctors who are pretty rude as well (to patients), even behind their backs. Some will even joke about patients problems, and some even worse things.

I was thinking, would this be something appropriate to talk about in an interview? Like, I know that they want us to get medical experience in order to know what the field is like, and be sure this is what we want to do etc, but would it be appropriate to talk about these types of things above, and say maybe how we think that is wrong etc etc. I know they always tell you to stay positive in the interview, but I have realized that these experiences at this hospital have really impacted me, so why not talk about it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking, would this be something appropriate to talk about in an interview? Like, I know that they want us to get medical experience in order to know what the field is like, and be sure this is what we want to do etc, but would it be appropriate to talk about these types of things above, and say maybe how we think that is wrong etc etc.
Bad idea, imho. I think that unless you're coming from some kind of medical career, making a point to talk about what's wrong with the industry could rub an interviewer the wrong way.

A good general rule of interviewing (in general, not just med school interviews) is not to say anything negative about past employers. I'd be careful about making any judgements about those you volunteer for after a few months.

it could show that you're not a team player, and the doctor you interview with might not be nice to patients him-/herself.