Incorporating intent into thank you letter? Is this appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cehapp

Reaction score
Hi, I just interviewed at my dream school and was wondering it it would be appropriate to incorporate that I would 100% attend if I were accepted into a thank you letter. They make decisions pretty quickly so I think a separate letter would be too late. Would this be ok or should I just stick to a normal thank you letter.

(Both interviewers are voting members of the committee if that makes a difference)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We assume that you will accept if offered (while knowing that it is not realistic to expect everyone who is admitted to matriculate). Telling me that you will come if accepted will not move the needle, at least not for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure, why not? It may not move the needle but it can’t hurt. Keep it brief and direct, but convey your feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep it simple and straightforward:

Thank you for taking the time to interview me and share your thoughts on [school]. I enjoyed discussing [make it specific and memorable, if possible]. I appreciate your interest in my application, and I am excited to hear from [school admissions office]. I am particularly excited by [program, research opporunity, curriculum, etc--say something specific about the program that you like]. If admitted, I believe that the [good qualities about you] I bring to medicine will contribute to [school's] already outstanding program. Thanks again for your time and attention.

Hi, I just interviewed at my dream school and was wondering it it would be appropriate to incorporate that I would 100% attend if I were accepted into a thank you letter. They make decisions pretty quickly so I think a separate letter would be too late. Would this be ok or should I just stick to a normal thank you letter.

(Both interviewers are voting members of the committee if that makes a difference)
Closed mouths don’t get fed

I think it's @Goro who always says not to write these unless your momma raised you to lol

But seriously, if you're going to write a thank-you letter (that's culturally kind of expected in my region), make it a sincere thank-you. Don't worry about gaming it to improve your chances, it doesn't matter.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! I am from the south and my mom would kill me if I didn't write thank you notes growing up, so it is ingrained in me haha. I just went with a short and sweet thank you note and didn't try to turn it into a letter of intent. Thanks again!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users