Appropriate or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soon2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year DO student looking to go to an MD anesthesiology residency in my home state. I originally had thoughts/dreams of leaving and going to another region of the country for the life experience. However, my dad was diagnosed with ALS at the beginning of the year. That has really changed my outlook to say the least. I now have my heart set on getting into the school in my state so I can be there for my family. Is it inappropriate to mention such a thing at an interview? I'm sure I will be asked "why do you want to come here?" To be clearer it would have likely been one of my top choices anyhow but it has definitely moved to the top no matter what at this point. On one hand I want them to realize that I really like the program and on the other I want them to realize that in a way I 'need' to go to this program. However, I'm not out for a pity party and I don't want to come off that way. I can't quite tell how I would feel if I was the interviewer and someone told me that... I always feel that being honest and upfront is the best policy but don't really know on this one. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

if it were me, i would mention my strong connection to family and maybe the fact that a parent has a chronic illness, but that is all. use it as a springboard to discuss medical interests, dedication, etc. but make sure and focus on what the program can offer you outside of convenience and location, and what you can bring to the program.