Appropriate questions to ask an admissions office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaVonk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering calling the office for a state school that I'm applying to as an out-of-state applicant in order to inquire about (if possible) the number of OOS applicants they've accepted and number of potential spots remaining for such candidates. Of course, I intend to ask as politely as possible, and am wondering if anyone here has done so before.

Aside from that, is it inappropriate to also ask the office about their admission committee's stance on letters of intent and process of evaluating candidates who send them in/whether a favorable decision may lead them to notify one before a usual monthly update? I'm trying to weigh the odds/figure out what other options I should consider at this point in the application process, and having some knowledge about what my chances are with this school would be helpful and allow me to assess my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I had mailed a school about LOIs, their admissions director got back to me in a polite manner. It can't hurt to ask, assuming you do it in a polite manner of course.