Appropriate suits for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member0543183

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been reading a lot of old threads on interviews and attire. But none of them really went in deep detail on suiting for women. I was wondering if this would be appropriate and professional?

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/produc...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=7074

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I've been reading a lot of old threads on interviews and attire. But none of them really went in deep detail on suiting for women. I was wondering if this would be appropriate and professional?

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/produc...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=7074

What are your thoughts?

I'm no expert by any means but I LOVE it :D It will definitely set you apart (in a good way) since its not your traditional black and boring suit. As long as your blouse under the jacket is professional too (no cleavage) you should be good to go I think. :thumbup:

Looks bright and professional. I like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

What are your thoughts?

Great post!! This is super cute, too. I've been mentally preparing to purchase a lady suit, and don't want to look like Hillary Clinton.

Is the pictured neckline inappropriate? obviously it isn't plunging, by any means, but should we try for more conservative?

There's always this fuss that goes on with the gents about avoiding plain black suits. Seems like the ladies didn't get the memo. I saw a whole lot of ugly and blah at interviews. Stuffy. Unflattering. Black. Polyester? Of course this isn't the time for sluttin' it up and taking the "skin to get in" approach either. So long as you're not sporting too much leg, I think this is appropriate. Don't forget the lip gloss.

Is the pictured neckline inappropriate? obviously it isn't plunging, by any means, but should we try for more conservative?

I'd would go for a little more conservative neckline, partly because I'm on the shorter side.:( But maybe you should try it on in-store if possible to see if it'll fit you well.

Thanks! Is there a rule where I need to keep my jacket buttoned up? Or can I leave it unbuttoned?

I imagine for the particular jacket, you would do whatever is functional. Like men unbutton when they sit....? If it doesn't hang too loosely from your body as if you are partially undressed when unbuttoned, and it looks good, then unbuttoned is probably fine. I do believe it would depend on the particular jacket.

What do you ladies think about skirt length? I love the skirt shown, but is it too short?

Last edited:
Is black really that disliked for girls too? :/

They say to keep it at knee length. Nothing above to keep it conservative.

I've read that the color pictured (beige/tan) is a more casual color though and that more professional/formal colors are black, grey, navy, charcoal, etc... for women. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

They say to keep it at knee length. Nothing above to keep it conservative.

I personally thin that skirt length is fine, but I'm also a tall girl, so knee length skirts will usually hit me above the knee anyway. I wonder if that's the case with this skirt also (as models tend to be tall). I think that to be 100% certain, you need to go to the store to try it on, and definitely make sure to sit down in it a few times in the changing room, either in front of the mirror or in front of your mother/a trusted friend who can tell you whether you are showing too much while sitting down. I'd probably bring someone with me for this purpose.

I've read that the color pictured (beige/tan) is a more casual color though and that more professional/formal colors are black, grey, navy, charcoal, etc... for women. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would say it's fine, but I'm not an authority. I remember reading somewhere that for women, lighter suits are more acceptable than for men. They cited tan and light grey as examples, so that's why I'm thinking tan tweed would be fine. I'm actually considering buying this suit for myself because it looks so beautiful. :laugh:

I personally thin that skirt length is fine, but I'm also a tall girl, so knee length skirts will usually hit me above the knee anyway. I wonder if that's the case with this skirt also (as models tend to be tall). I think that to be 100% certain, you need to go to the store to try it on, and definitely make sure to sit down in it a few times in the changing room, either in front of the mirror or in front of your mother/a trusted friend who can tell you whether you are showing too much while sitting down. I'd probably bring someone with me for this purpose.

I would say it's fine, but I'm not an authority. I remember reading somewhere that for women, lighter suits are more acceptable than for men. They cited tan and light grey as examples, so that's why I'm thinking tan tweed would be fine. I'm actually considering buying this suit for myself because it looks so beautiful. :laugh:

Thanks!! I'm going to have to look more into how acceptable tan/beige suits are. I read that one student went to an interview presentation at a dental school and they said tan/beige/ivory suits are not appropriate. But maybe it's just for that school!

BTW, Wouldn't that be funny if all the girls ended up wearing the same suit -- this suit? LOL.

Is black really that disliked for girls too? :/

From what I've heard, yes. Although its a little sad because black is somewhat slimming ;)

I agree with babytooth, I think its perfectly fine for women, though I'm skeptical about how it would look for men. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, Wouldn't that be funny if all the girls ended up wearing the same suit -- this suit? LOL.

It'd be hilarious! Unfortunately, I'm on a very limited budget and the suit is out of my price range. :(

My mother (who is a physician) is lending me her interview suit (last used for interviews 2 years ago...she got 3/3 job offers while wearing it, so I hope it's lucky!) and I'll have to get it tailored to fit me. If my grandmother does it, I'll basically be getting a suit for free! I hope it still looks right after it's taken in... :luck:

Btw, here are some photos of the jacket. It's also tweed. The skirt matches the brown and white tweed on the jacket.

scaled.php

scaled.php

It'd be hilarious! Unfortunately, I'm on a very limited budget and the suit is out of my price range. :(

My mother (who is a physician) is lending me her interview suit (last used for interviews 2 years ago...she got 3/3 job offers while wearing it, so I hope it's lucky!) and I'll have to get it tailored to fit me. If my grandmother does it, I'll basically be getting a suit for free! I hope it still looks right after it's taken in... :luck:

Btw, here are some photos of the jacket. It's also tweed. The skirt matches the brown and white tweed on the jacket.

scaled.php

scaled.php

That's super cute!!!!! What kind of shoes are you going to wear with it?
I have trouble finding pumps that fit my little feet. Do you think sling-back shoes would be okay?

Honestly, ladies, I think that first tan suit is not appropriate for a formal interview. I agree that dark colors -- black, navy, charcoal -- is the way to go. I think black is most chic.

There's always this fuss that goes on with the gents about avoiding plain black suits. Seems like the ladies didn't get the memo. I saw a whole lot of ugly and blah at interviews. Stuffy. Unflattering. Black. Polyester? Of course this isn't the time for sluttin' it up and taking the "skin to get in" approach either. So long as you're not sporting too much leg, I think this is appropriate. Don't forget the lip gloss.

:laugh:..."skin to get in"....:laugh: But I would agree. Be comfortable but be classy. A lady suit would be fine...a nice gray shade is good for anyone

scaled.php

scaled.php

Totally cute! I'm also on a limited budget unfortunately.

However Zara has a sweet sale going on right now so I might just go this week to pick one up rather than wait and have to shell out for an overpriced one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I feel like that skirt is too short. If it were right at the top of the knee I think you could get away with it. Maybe you are short and it will be longer on you? I'm 5'7'' so I had to be careful. Most interviews are also during the fall so I prefer darker colors..but this is up to you.

what you guys think about pants?? I hate dresses and will look very uncomfortable wearing one :laugh:

what you guys think about pants?? I hate dresses and will look very uncomfortable wearing one :laugh:

I think pant suits are perfectly fine! I actually feel more safe in pants... I've been told time and time again that women can't go wrong with wearing a dark pant suit :) I might just wear a dark pant suit instead of wearing a suit like the ann taylor one I posted.

As an applicant from last cycle, let me just say the worst offenders I saw on interview days:

1) Guys: Khaki pants and a blazer. Lesson to be learned: This is not a country club
2) Guys: White socks with a suit. They showed when the guy sat down. Lesson to be learned: Save the white socks for the gym
3) Girls: A very short skirt. At an interview for a certain Ivy League school I heard one of the staff members remark to me that one girls in our group had the shortest skirt and she had to write down in the interview remarks that she was improperly dressed. Be warned.
4) Girls: Too tall of heels. Some girl at NYU literally broke down crying on the tour after walking up and down 9 stories. If they say you can bring some flats, bring them.
5) Guys: A guy wore the skinniest (and shiniest) suit with a skinny tie and a bright undershirt. This is NOT the time be fashion forward. This is NOT the time to advertise your sexuality.

Hope these pointers help haha

4) Girls: Too tall of heels. Some girl at NYU literally broke down crying on the tour after walking up and down 9 stories. If they say you can bring some flats, bring them.
5) Guys: A guy wore the skinniest (and shiniest) suit with a skinny tie and a bright undershirt. This is NOT the time be fashion forward. This is NOT the time to advertise your sexuality.

Omg yes defintiely no heels! :scared: And lmao at #5! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's super cute!!!!! What kind of shoes are you going to wear with it?
I have trouble finding pumps that fit my little feet. Do you think sling-back shoes would be okay?

Thanks! I don't know about shoes yet! Need to find some comfy ones.

Does anyone have recommendations about heel height? Does it matter, as long as they're comfortable to me?

Does anyone have recommendations about heel height? Does it matter, as long as they're comfortable to me?

Should not be over 2 inches, unless you're superwoman and can stand in them for long hours lol :cool:

I think pant suits are perfectly fine! I actually feel more safe in pants... I've been told time and time again that women can't go wrong with wearing a dark pant suit :) I might just wear a dark pant suit instead of wearing a suit like the ann taylor one I posted.

You know, this is funny because I've been told over and over again that if you want to be safe, you should wear a skirt suit. I think this has more to do with the corporate world, but one of my friends was interviewing for several big name companies our senior year (two years ago) and our career department told her that she should go with a skirt suit to be more conservative! I don't think this is the case with dental schools, but how weird is that?!?

Now that you mention a pant suit, I have a black one with pinstripes that I wore when interviewing for colleges somewhere in my closet. It's from Esprit. I completely forgot about that until now...wonder if it still fits. Then I'll have two suits that I can wear depending on what mood strikes me.

My personal opinion is that it isn't a big deal what you're wearing as long as you look put together and professional (no low cut tops or too short skirts). I don't even think you need a suit if you're a girl...we have so many more options for looking professional than the guys do! I have been searching other sections of this site for interview tips and I came across some posts in "The Wolf's Den" (what in the world is that? some social club? it has the weirdest posts! :scared:) where a one person said she interviewed for the pharmacy school she ended up going to in a red dress with heart earrings on on Valentine's Day. Some other person said her female friend hadn't even worn a suit to medical school interviews (just a button down and slacks) and still got in. It doesn't matter that much, as long as you look professional. The red dress and heart earrings I'd stay away from, though. ;)

Wear what makes you feel most confident. That's probably the best "secret" because ultimately they're only going to care about what comes out of your mouth! :)

Should not be over 2 inches, unless you're superwoman and can stand in them for long hours lol :cool:

Thanks! That's probably a good height! I might try wearing some heels I have for a day over the weekend as a test and see how that goes.

If I find I can't wear heels for an entire day, would it look bad to go in flats instead? Or should I just bring flats to change into while walking?

Can I change my pumps to my comfy suede boots for the tour part? lol. The color and stuff matches my suit. My pumps are not comfortable.

As for changing to flats, that's perfectly fine! I would change to flats but then I'd feel so short, lol... I'm under 5 feet.

Thanks! That's probably a good height! I might try wearing some heels I have for a day over the weekend as a test and see how that goes.

If I find I can't wear heels for an entire day, would it look bad to go in flats instead? Or should I just bring flats to change into while walking?

Np! :) And I think flats would be fine, as long as they're not the peep toe kind I think lol but I love flats and they can look professional too. Heels are not worth the pain, I have had too many horrible experiences :(

I would just throw a blazer on top of that outfit, I think otherwise it'd be too casual. But that's just my opinion :)

Np! :) And I think flats would be fine, as long as they're not the peep toe kind I think lol but I love flats and they can look professional too. Heels are not worth the pain, I have had too many horrible experiences :(

I would just throw a blazer on top of that outfit, I think otherwise it'd be too casual. But that's just my opinion :)

mine too :thumbup: classy

I'd like to reiterate that open toed shoes should not be worn. I'm not sure about changing into boots, or any other wardrobe changes on interview day.. I would make sure you're outfit is functional for the weather and activity level, and then focus on the interview.

I have a lot of different professional pieces, cuz of my current job. But they are mostly slacks and dressy tops from New York and Company. Ann Taylor, and such, get so expensive. What do you all think of NY&C clothing?

P.S. I love this thread, makes me feel like us girls have our own club ;) lol

I have a lot of different professional pieces, cuz of my current job. But they are mostly slacks and dressy tops from New York and Company. Ann Taylor, and such, get so expensive. What do you all think of NY&C clothing?

P.S. I love this thread, makes me feel like us girls have our own club ;) lol

NY&C has some great clothes, especially for girls on the taller end of the spectrum ;) Express and Zara are also pretty good places to shop too :)

And baby tooth I lovee the blazer! Maybe if you checked other stores in person you could find a good match!

Any recommendations for shoes? What kind of flats would look ok with a suit?
I am not very fashion savvy lol and I cannot wear heels for more than an hour lol
(sample links would be appreciated) lol

Any recommendations for shoes? What kind of flats would look ok with a suit?
I am not very fashion savvy lol and I cannot wear heels for more than an hour lol
(sample links would be appreciated) lol

Any ol' flat would do normally, but the shoes listed on these sites should do just fine, as long as they're not bright orange like most of the flats on the site. I'd suggest picking a neutral color for your shoe to be on the safe side. Also these flats are a bit overpriced, use them as a guideline if you are on a budget! :)

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shoes/flats.jsp?navLoc=left_nav
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shoes/ballets.jsp?navLoc=left_nav

What do you guys think of wearing a business dress? With a blazer perhaps? It's cute, put together, and no hassle! I just don't hear of many people wearing business dresses to interviews.

What about a black skirt/pant suit with a bold color, like royal blue or something, so it doesn't feel stiff? Would black be okay in that case?

Last edited:
What do you guys think of wearing a business dress? With a blazer perhaps? It's cute, but together, and no hassle! I just don't hear of many people wearing business dresses to interviews.

If you could link an example of a business dress then maybe we can help you out :)

What about a black skirt/pant suit with a bold color, like royal blue or something, so it doesn't feel stiff? Would black be okay in that case?

That sounds fine to me, because royal blue and black are generally 'safe' colors.

The-Godfather-2.jpg

whatimgoingtowear.jpg

I will probably go the ellen degeneres route minus the tennis shoes. If I wore a dress/heels I would look like a drag queen with a football players walk. :scared:

I have a little experience in this area. I applied last cycle and went on several interviews.

My personal opinion is that everybody should invest in a nice black or grey suit (i prefer skirt suits, but whatever fits and flatters you bests works). I don't understand all this hate for the nice, classy, put-together look of a black suit. I purchased mine from Banana Republic and I loved it. I saw quite a few other girls wearing this same one too. It was a little pricey, BUT it is an investment and something you will consistently need throughout your career. Also, I got mine during a 40% off sale, so it wasn't too bad.

In many of my interviews, almost everyone (male and female) was wearing a nice black or grey suit with a nice colored button up shirt underneath. If you want to be an individual/creative, do it with your shirt color. Personally I think a nice purple, blue, light green or soft pink are all good choices. But don't go too crazy. I think the collared shirt is the way to go, but some girls wore simple blouses instead. A nice, simple pearl or gold chain necklace with matching earrings can also add a little pop. As for shoes, plain black flats or pumps were fine. This is what I saw in the majority of applicants.

There were always a few girls, though, who decided they wanted to be an individual and wear something a little different. In most cases, I think they just ended up looking underdressed and like they didn't fit in. The "sea of black suits", IMO, looked classy and nice, not boring. It looked professional with us all in the conference room wearing our business suits. Sometimes other things can look ok, but I think its too much of a gamble. In any case, what you wear probably won't make or break the decision unless its something totally outrageous. Just wear something that fits well and allows you to be comfortable and confident throughout the entire day. Wear something that makes you look like a future DDS/DMD.

I have a little experience in this area. I applied last cycle and went on several interviews.

My personal opinion is that everybody should invest in a nice black or grey suit (i prefer skirt suits, but whatever fits and flatters you bests works). I don't understand all this hate for the nice, classy, put-together look of a black suit. I purchased mine from Banana Republic and I loved it. I saw quite a few other girls wearing this same one too. It was a little pricey, BUT it is an investment and something you will consistently need throughout your career. Also, I got mine during a 40% off sale, so it wasn't too bad.

In many of my interviews, almost everyone (male and female) was wearing a nice black or grey suit with a nice colored button up shirt underneath. If you want to be an individual/creative, do it with your shirt color. Personally I think a nice purple, blue, light green or soft pink are all good choices. But don't go too crazy. I think the collared shirt is the way to go, but some girls wore simple blouses instead. A nice, simple pearl or gold chain necklace with matching earrings can also add a little pop. As for shoes, plain black flats or pumps were fine. This is what I saw in the majority of applicants.

There were always a few girls, though, who decided they wanted to be an individual and wear something a little different. In most cases, I think they just ended up looking underdressed and like they didn't fit in. The "sea of black suits", IMO, looked classy and nice, not boring. It looked professional with us all in the conference room wearing our business suits. Sometimes other things can look ok, but I think its too much of a gamble. In any case, what you wear probably won't make or break the decision unless its something totally outrageous. Just wear something that fits well and allows you to be comfortable and confident throughout the entire day. Wear something that makes you look like a future DDS/DMD.

I don't necessarily hate black though, I guess it's because I'm accustomed to pre-meds telling me black at an interview is boring and the adcoms like something different but still professional. Maybe because it's so cutthroat in terms of admission but that's the mentality I've had for some time.

And I do agree with you black can look chic and put together, but there is nothing wrong with a light color suit either in my opinion. They can look just as chic and professional as a black or gray suit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Ok I am here to take all criticism...I am thinking of few option and posting here as my own preference.

1st choice:
Jaket
http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/altviews.jsp?style=570047171&color=070&imgCount=1
Skirt:
http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/altviews.jsp?style=570051097&color=070&imgCount=1
Top:
http://www.express.com/the-original...72-721/control/page/6/show/3/index.pro#jsLink (in Wild Orchid)
or
http://www.bebe.com/Utility-Pocket-Silk-Button-Blouse/dp/B007U4YVJK?ie=UTF8&field_launch-date=-1y&field_availability=-2&navAsinList=B0080WC9NG%2CB0082LXJE8%2CB007U4YVJK%2CB0089L5M4G%2CB0084T0PO0%2CB006HFQOZW%2CB007OJLE0A%2CB0080WBK2M%2CB006H2J19G%2CB007C2AG62%2CB006LYQHCY%2CB0080WBCUM%2CB007QKO6G6%2CB006OLB0WG%2CB007ZP45WC%2CB007ZP5GG6%2CB007QKSJA0%2CB007T6UEBS%2CB006PEPW4O%2CB00863UM3S%2CB006OL9ZQY%2CB006ZWRFDC%2CB0080EQU2A%2CB007TTN0YI%2CB007NHHK0Q%2CB007YGXI9I%2CB0080WD8HW%2CB007PPFF9Y%2CB007NWMAEW%2CB007NWL1HO%2CB0085KKQQ0%2CB00403UMVU%2CB007Y4WKA8%2CB007TTLU5Y%2CB007WC0A1S%2CB0080WF3N4%2CB005F8Z1FQ%2CB007PPFIZK%2CB006H2FVLS%2CB007PDHLNO&navAsinListIndex=0&searchRank=-product_site_launch_date&id=Utility%20Pocket%20Silk%20Button%20Blouse&ref=search_results_3&node=675942011&field_browse=675942011&searchSize=40&searchNodeID=675942011&searchPage=1&asinSearchPageIndex=2&searchBinNameList=null&field_is-searchable=0&pf_rd_r=123N0A7X6GWRRSVMGTN7&pf_rd_m=A2FMOXN01TSNYY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=675942011&pf_rd_p=1300943002&pf_rd_s=search-results (in white)

2nd Option (as is)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/lafayet...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=5464

3rd option:
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45420&vid=1&pid=423461
Top:
the one in the picture or http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16814&vid=1&pid=454444&scid=454444022

I agree that there is nothing wrong with a nice light colored suit (basically light gray or tan would be your only options here though).
The only problem is that when people start going with a "light colored" suit, they try to get more creative and fashionable. I would stay away from a more stylish type of jacket and different materials, such as tweed. (ex)options 1 and 2 in post above). As long as its a classic style, professional, regular old suit, color doesn't matter. Especially for women. For instance, in the above post, I think option #3 would be absolutely perfect. (I actually just bought his suit, and I LOVE it. It looks very professional). As far as tops under it, I'd stick with like a plain silky shell of some sort ( like this, perhaps: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=35356&vid=1&pid=415946) or a classic shirt such as this: ( http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=429795&scid=429795072) Go with what fits and looks better. Honestly, I think if you can make it work, the button up would be the best bet, even though its not as comfortable. I had a few sales associates help me out and they all decided that the button up is much more appropriate for a dental/medical school interview. You can be creative with the color and a mild pattern too.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with a nice light colored suit (basically light gray or tan would be your only options here though).
The only problem is that when people start going with a "light colored" suit, they try to get more creative and fashionable. I would stay away from a more stylish type of jacket and different materials, such as tweed. (ex)options 1 and 2 in post above). As long as its a classic style, professional, regular old suit, color doesn't matter. Especially for women. For instance, in the above post, I think option #3 would be absolutely perfect. (I actually just bought his suit, and I LOVE it. It looks very professional). As far as tops under it, I'd stick with like a plain silky shell of some sort ( like this, perhaps: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=35356&vid=1&pid=415946) or a classic shirt such as this: ( http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=429795&scid=429795072) Go with what fits and looks better. Honestly, I think if you can make it work, the button up would be the best bet, even though its not as comfortable. I had a few sales associates help me out and they all decided that the button up is much more appropriate for a dental/medical school interview. You can be creative with the color and a mild pattern too.

Thanks that helped to atleast narrow down my choice ...I like the second suggestion of top better (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5039&vid=1&pid=429795&scid=429795072).

Ok I am here to take all criticism...I am thinking of few option and posting here as my own preference.

1st choice:
Jaket
http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/altviews.jsp?style=570047171&color=070&imgCount=1
Skirt:
http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/altviews.jsp?style=570051097&color=070&imgCount=1
Top:
http://www.express.com/the-original...72-721/control/page/6/show/3/index.pro#jsLink (in Wild Orchid)
or
http://www.bebe.com/Utility-Pocket-Silk-Button-Blouse/dp/B007U4YVJK?ie=UTF8&field_launch-date=-1y&field_availability=-2&navAsinList=B0080WC9NG%2CB0082LXJE8%2CB007U4YVJK%2CB0089L5M4G%2CB0084T0PO0%2CB006HFQOZW%2CB007OJLE0A%2CB0080WBK2M%2CB006H2J19G%2CB007C2AG62%2CB006LYQHCY%2CB0080WBCUM%2CB007QKO6G6%2CB006OLB0WG%2CB007ZP45WC%2CB007ZP5GG6%2CB007QKSJA0%2CB007T6UEBS%2CB006PEPW4O%2CB00863UM3S%2CB006OL9ZQY%2CB006ZWRFDC%2CB0080EQU2A%2CB007TTN0YI%2CB007NHHK0Q%2CB007YGXI9I%2CB0080WD8HW%2CB007PPFF9Y%2CB007NWMAEW%2CB007NWL1HO%2CB0085KKQQ0%2CB00403UMVU%2CB007Y4WKA8%2CB007TTLU5Y%2CB007WC0A1S%2CB0080WF3N4%2CB005F8Z1FQ%2CB007PPFIZK%2CB006H2FVLS%2CB007PDHLNO&navAsinListIndex=0&searchRank=-product_site_launch_date&id=Utility%20Pocket%20Silk%20Button%20Blouse&ref=search_results_3&node=675942011&field_browse=675942011&searchSize=40&searchNodeID=675942011&searchPage=1&asinSearchPageIndex=2&searchBinNameList=null&field_is-searchable=0&pf_rd_r=123N0A7X6GWRRSVMGTN7&pf_rd_m=A2FMOXN01TSNYY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=675942011&pf_rd_p=1300943002&pf_rd_s=search-results (in white)

2nd Option (as is)
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/lafayet...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=5464

3rd option:
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45420&vid=1&pid=423461
Top:
the one in the picture or http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16814&vid=1&pid=454444&scid=454444022

Option 1 with white, or or Option 3 with the top in the picture. Cute stuff!

If you could link an example of a business dress then maybe we can help you out :)

That sounds fine to me, because royal blue and black are generally 'safe' colors.

Would a business dress and blazer be fine? Something like this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/trina-t...Url=All+Work+Apparel&BaseUrl=All+Work+Apparel with this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45420&vid=1&pid=423456

Obviously not so short for the dress, and probably a solid color. Is this professional enough, or too casual?

Okay so now I'm looking into buying a new suit. Due to this thread. Lol.

Does anyone have recommendations on sizing of blazers if I'm purchasing over the internet from a company I haven't bought from before? I've taken my measurements with measuring tape, but should I size up because I'd have a shirt underneath it?