Appropriate suits for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I personally like ruffles versus a button up. Button ups are so so uncomfy under a blazer! :)

As for sizing, are their return policy lenient? Because if you can return it to the store, I would buy two separate sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.

Do you all think sling-back shoes will be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

As for sizing, are their return policy lenient? Because if you can return it to the store, I would buy two separate sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.

Thanks! I think I'll do just that!

IMO, sling-back shoes aren't a good idea. They're in the same category as peep-toes, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a business dress and blazer be fine? Something like this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/trina-t...Url=All+Work+Apparel&BaseUrl=All+Work+Apparel with this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=45420&vid=1&pid=423456

Obviously not so short for the dress, and probably a solid color. Is this professional enough, or too casual?

In my opinion, wearing a sheath dress (as you mentioned not so short lol) and a blazer on top would be akin to wearing a suit and skirt ensemble. Would you take the blazer off at any time? Then it would make you stand out, and perhaps not in a good way. As long as you keep the blazer on, you should be fine I think.

I wonder if anyone else feels this way! :oops:

Also, are ruffles okay ( http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=30924&vid=1&pid=423464&scid=423464002 ) Or would a simple button down top be better?

That top looks perfectly fine to me :thumbup:

I personally like ruffles versus a button up. Button ups are so so uncomfy under a blazer! :)

I think if you really want to wear sling backs, wear them with pants and make sure the pants cover the back of your heel. Any kind of exposed foot, whether it be the toes or the heel isn't really professional in my opinion!

Sling-backs aren't in the same category as peep-toe. I've seen sling-backs that are full covered toes.

Haha, that's not what I meant. I meant that sling-backs and peep-toes would similarly not be appropriate because in both cases you're basically showing part of your foot. Maybe I'm wrong in my logic, and if so then please let me know. :)

Also what do you guys thing of this for a pant suit? Yay or Nay?
http://www.express.com/suits-1576/control/page/3/show/3/index.ens

I like the fabric pattern of this pantsuit. I also think the black parts are subtle enough to work, if that's what you were worried about.

In my opinion, wearing a sheath dress (as you mentioned not so short lol) and a blazer on top would be akin to wearing a suit and skirt ensemble. Would you take the blazer off at any time? Then it would make you stand out, and perhaps not in a good way. As long as you keep the blazer on, you should be fine I think.

I feel the same way on both points.

I like the fabric pattern of this pantsuit. I also think the black parts are subtle enough to work, if that's what you were worried about.

Yepp that's what I was worrying about. Thanks!

Does anyone know how long a typical suit lasts? If I buy a new one now, it should last me at least a couple years, right?

Last edited:

Awesome, I like the ruffles better as well, especially for a pant suit. It makes it look less stuffy!

I would probably plan on keeping the blazer on, whether I decide to wear a dress, skirt suit, or pantsuit.

Any other thoughts on wearing a business dress with a blazer instead of a typical pant/skirt suit?

I would probably plan on keeping the blazer on, whether I decide to wear a dress, skirt suit, or pantsuit.

Any other thoughts on wearing a business dress with a blazer instead of a typical pant/skirt suit?

I agree with Ancient Egyptian that since you're going to keep the blazer on, it'd be akin to wearing a skirt suit and you'd be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about handbags ladies? Do you carry around a purse or suitcase to put your papers in?

What about handbags ladies? Do you carry around a purse or suitcase to put your papers in?

I was going to carry a purse and bring a notebook or something

I'll probably take a handbag as well. Idk if using a briefcase for interviews is normal or not.

Thoughts on purses:
Leather or some other nice material would look best. Probably best to avoid canvas and the like. Maybe avoid large, flashy hardware too.
Make sure it's clean and well kept. A dirty, broken bag next to your nice suit will look horrible.
Don't bring a huge purse or tote, you don't want to lug around a large bag. You really just need a small purse and you can carry a folder. A briefcase isn't necessary.

I was going to carry a purse and bring a notebook or something

They generally give you a folder with all your papers in it so unless you want more to carry I'd say the notebook isn't necessary. Just make sure to bring a pen.

I'm going to do ruffles and a blazer and a good skinny pant. Too lazy to find a picture but I already have the outfit. I think that looking professional is important, but they also want to see your personality come through. You'll be able to stand out more if you're comfortable and wearing something fashionable, classy, and different.

@AncientEgyptian

With a black suit, what do you think of a navy blue Longchamp Le Pliage tote? it's almost looks black lol but it's navy blue...would that look weird? Also, would black shoes with a black suit be too much black? Any color suggestions?

@AncientEgyptian

With a black suit, what do you think of a navy blue Longchamp Le Pliage tote? it's almost looks black lol but it's navy blue...would that look weird? Also, would black shoes with a black suit be too much black? Any color suggestions?

In my opinion, if the suit is tailored really well to your body (i.e. not too form-fitting, or too loose, pants aren't dragging on the floor if you're a petite), all black can look chic. The bag should look fine too because it's accenting the all-black ensemble. If the bag looks too dark, as in you wouldn't know it was navy without the tags, then opt for either a lighter navy, tan/camel, light or dark brown bag. What blouse were you thinking of? I don't recommend white though but if you must then don't sweat it, just look confident and rock the interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

In my opinion, if the suit is tailored really well to your body (i.e. not too form-fitting, or too loose, pants aren't dragging on the floor if you're a petite), all black can look chic. The bag should look fine too because it's accenting the all-black ensemble. If the bag looks too dark, as in you wouldn't know it was navy without the tags, then opt for either a lighter navy, tan/camel, light or dark brown bag. What blouse were you thinking of? I don't recommend white though but if you must then don't sweat it, just look confident and rock the interview!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Haven't gotten the blouse yet, but I was thinking about light blue possibly?
I think I would be able to tell that the bag is navy if it's put against something black lol

go to zara's in your mall.

you can get COMPLETE SET. a nice suit(if you not obese they will look like custom made)+shoes+tie. the complete set for 400 bucks and it will be worth it b/c every suite i brought from zaras i never regretted it.

I've been planning on going for typical grey or black power suit (either Banana Rep. or J. Crew) but I came across this on bluefly.... I feel like it probably would stand out too much. But I love it, and the price is excellent.

http://www.bluefly.com/Tahari-ASL-b...ce-skirt-suit/cat1150080/317965001/detail.fly

Thoughts?

That is REALLY cute. I love both pieces, especially the skirt. Wearing it for a dental school interview might be a bold statement, not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I tend to be more cautious, so I probably wouldn't wear it for a dental school interview, though.

Gals, are you planning keeping the button open or closed? I keep reading mixed things about whether it should be open/closed.

Gals, are you planning keeping the button open or closed? I keep reading mixed things about whether it should be open/closed.
Closed. But I think I'm just going to accept that it isn't realistic to wear this to an interview. I might just have to get it because its so darn cute though!

My skirt is black, semi-fitted, and around 3 inches above my knees. Do you think that's too short or appropriate? :( I never wear skirts out, gonna be a pain crossing my legs everywhere I go.

Personally, I would probably go with a longer skirt since it's a formal interview... but I'm not too familiar with skirts...

My skirt is black, semi-fitted, and around 3 inches above my knees. Do you think that's too short or appropriate? :( I never wear skirts out, gonna be a pain crossing my legs everywhere I go.

Have you tried sitting in it? From my personal experience, any skirt that is a few inches above my knees is a lot shorter when seated. That might be different for you though.

i think somebody mentioned this, but what are your opinions about the jacket sleeves being 3/4 and not touching your wrists?

Here's a diagram for anyone buying their first suit or forgot their 'rules'
Modern+tailored+Suit+Guide.jpg

Now I have an interview coming up next month, and I'm seriously considering sporting a bow tie. From a strategic standpoint this will better allow the adcoms to remember me. What do y'all think?

Uh oh, looks like this thread got hijacked by a guy hahah

:thumbdown:

Don't know about that. Title of the thread does say "Appropriate suits for interview?"

Hahah I jest... it's just most of the discussion has been about women's interview attire so far

Girls, what are you wearing for these still summer weather interviews? My interview last year was in November, so I'm having trouble. Tights are a must with a skirt, correct? And are black tights too wintery, or should I opt for nude ones?