Appropriate work shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingsforu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm going to the states for a equine surgey externship and I'm not sure what shoes to wear. I was told that work shoes would be appropriate, but what exactly are work shoes? :confused:
I googled and found crocs and other shoes, but it just seemed that crocs wouldn't be that protective or anything if a horse would step on my foot.
Would sneakers or running shoes be ok or would I need to buy a pair of clogs or some kind of sturdy shoe? I am open to recommendations.
And if I bring my sneakers to the clinic would I have to disinfect them before I can wear them in an OR? Help me!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
equine?? i thought u needed steel caps for horses?? i could be wrong though..
i have leather boots with a steel cap for equine stuff :)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends and classmates got stepped on by a horse while she was wearing steel toed boots and broke her toes (maybe metatarsals too, I don't recall precisely). I remember she said her ER doc said that if she had been wearing regular boots, it wouldn't have been as bad, as they kind of trapped her feet in them or something with how they ended up getting bent. Getting stepped on by a 1000+ lbs animal is going to suck either way.

Mythbusters did an episode involving steel-toed boots (the myth was that the steel could bend and amputate your toes, defeating the purpose of wearing the boots in the first place...) and came to the conclusion that steel-toed boots are much safer in that sort of circumstance than other types of boots (and would not chop off your toes).

Episode 42, if you'd like to Google it.

Agree with Electrophile that it will suck no matter what, so try to avoid getting stepped on, you know. But if it were me, I think I'd like some steel to keep the tootsies safe.

I worked on a research farm many years back and we were required to wear steel toed boots. We'd always joke about it because they were great for protecting your toes, but the rest of your foot was still fair game :) So it's like insurance - it's a good idea to wear them, but doesn't always mean you're 100% covered :D

I've been taught by horse-people NEVER to wear steel-toed boots because if the horse flips out and lands on your foot and managed to collapse the steel (as it sounds like happened to the above poster), you will be much worse off.

Try something like this...
http://www.doversaddlery.com/blundstone-500-paddock-boot/p/X1-38110/cn/11/

I would think they'd want something like a sturdy paddock boot that was waterproof leather for your work, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm an equine-oriented person, and I like Danskos for working in the barns at various clinics. Good on feet, good on backs. I'm not sure I would dare try crocs or sneakers in anything but the OR, and even then when horses are induced or recovering, it can be risky. Paddock boots are also a good choice for all day comfort and acceptable foot protection. I've never tried steel toed boots so I can't speak to them.

I am using Tboots model pu14 they are high and protect above ankle, durable, water protective if treated with proper fats and steellcapped for toes protection (had a horse step on me, didn't feel a thing), great buy. personally imported them from Australia.

i did an externship this past summer at an equine hospital and the standard uniform for the clinicians was khakis, polo shirt, and any type of work type boots or dansko clogs. I also wore crocs when we went into surgery, they usually recommend having a different pair of shoes for surgery, especially since you are more likely to step in poop when working with horses but it wasn't a requirement.

I think it is all about preference. Steel toed or not is up to you. But a warning: I know of a person wearing a steel toed boot that had his foot stepped on by a bull and the steel curled down and cut off his toes. That is rare, but it does happen. I have heard quite a few people still prefer steel toe despite the risks. I have Rocky work boots (they are actually steel toe) and they have worked nicely for me. If you want to go with a cowboy style boot I would reccommend Ariat or Twisted X (which was actually started by someone who use to work for Ariat). Hope that helps!!

Wow.. Guys thanks for all the replies!
All of you have contributed in protecting my tootsies. Thank you VERY much. :)
I asked the clinic again about what shoes I should wear and I was actually told that sneakers would be ok, but I'm leaning on paddock boots.
Anyway, big thanks to all of you! Wish me good luck on the externship!

Last edited:
Oh..... Crocs during surgery? And stepping on lots of poop. I get the picture. Thanks snoopy69! And I was just wondering, what is your avatar? The creature looks cute!