Apps and ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, the pre-med advisor at my school is a complete *****, so I'm asking my trusted collegues at SDN for some advice!
As a post-bacc applicant, I have a couple of years of extra ECs to put on my AMCAS application. Do you put every single thing you've done from college on the AMCAS? I don't want to look like one of those *****s that puts a ton of activities down just to make themselves look "involved"!
Also, after graduating from college I worked for 2 years in film production in Boston. Should I put down all the different films I worked on (some known, like "Good Will Hunting", some unknown like "The Proposition" shudder)? Or should I just put down film production in general?
I know this is the most random question, but I really don't know who else to ask.
I guess I could ask the pre-med advisors at Boston U., but I didn't do any pre-recs there, just my BS. Sigh.
Anyone have any advice?
THanks!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Put significant ECs that you will be able to write a short paragraph about..for the movies, you may not even have room for the titles, see what you can fit in.....the film production thing will make you stand out from other applicants, so include specific info i think

DR. Foxy,

You're my gal! I knew you would be there with some advice! I really appreciate your input.
Are you in Boston right now? What's the weather like, if so?
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
TEDillard: Yep I'm in Boston....it's like 33 degrees, but sunny, not bad with a warm coat...but last night it was the coldest it's been all year, about 15 degrees.

Good luck with your application!

You worked on good will hunting?! COOL!! That's my 2nd favorite movie ever! What did you do ? --Trek

Trek,
I'm going to PM you.

But, for those who are curious: I worked on locations for the movie.

:)

TEDillard,

Your film background is so interesting!!! How did you get involved?

As others have said, only put down ECs that are significant; however, if you have a lot of ECs that ARE very substantial, don't be afraid to put them down, no matter how many! As long as you can back up everything you say with specific and significant details, go ahead and write it in.

As far as the films...I don't know if you've taken at look at the application yet, but basically you write the title of your activity, and then you write a short paragraph describing the experience. In the case of your filming experience, you might want to put down "film production," as you suggested, and then in the paragraph that follows list all of the titles (if they'll fit) and your duties. If you can't fit everything in, perhaps you could split the work into two categories...say, e.g. (and I'm just pulling this out of the air), "film production, locations" for one and then "film production, casting" for another, with the respective movies in each category.

I hope that this helps; sorry that your advisor hasn't been more informative!

The Post-Secondary Experiences section of the AMCAS allows you to input an activity type (Paid Job, Volunteer--Clinical, Teaching, Artistic Endeavour etc., about 15 differenct types), dates, a title, an organizatin name, hours per week, a contact name, contact title, contact phone, contact e-mail, and a 510 character description of the activity (approximately 100 words). You don't have much room to describe each activity. I think the maximum number of experiences you can enter is 40.

Only forty?! What am I going to do?! :wink: