April 15 is COMING!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlairaK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so there are 5 days left until that fateful deadline!

I know these topics are scattered here and there throughout other threads, but I thought I'd open up this one in case anyone needs some fast last minute advice in making a decision? Some group support might help!

Good luck deciding, everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Who qualifies for EIC (Earned Income Credit)?

When I donate a dollar at the grocery store register for "feed the hungry" drives, does it count as a charitable tax donation?

;) j/k I was just thinking that it was lame that the APA chose TAX DAY as the fateful day for grad school decisions!

Hahahaha... my best friends birthday is also on April 15th so I'm like no offense but you were born on the worst day ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does it work with mailing in acceptance papers. Do they have to be postmarked by the 15th or received by the 15th? I plan on calling my POI on Monday, but what does everyone do for the paperwork if they are making last minute decisions.

I am holding onto one offer currently (which I love) but my fiance can not move to the area of the school in the near future, so I'm left with quite the dilemma, hence the waiting until the last minute. Long distance relationships are not fun (understatement) but I really want a PhD (and this program). If I didn't take this offer, I would move with him and apply for a MSW or MPH. Any advice?

How does it work with mailing in acceptance papers. Do they have to be postmarked by the 15th or received by the 15th? I plan on calling my POI on Monday, but what does everyone do for the paperwork if they are making last minute decisions.

If they want written confirmation of acceptance by the deadline (in addition to calling) sending an e-mail would most likely suffice until you can get the paperwork in.

I am holding onto one offer currently (which I love) but my fiance can not move to the area of the school in the near future, so I'm left with quite the dilemma, hence the waiting until the last minute. Long distance relationships are not fun (understatement) but I really want a PhD (and this program). If I didn't take this offer, I would move with him and apply for a MSW or MPH. Any advice?

Would you truly be happy with an MSW or MPH rather than a PhD? Would you? Is it to YOU as fulfilling? Would you regret it? Would you enjoy it because it meant being with your fiance?
I'm not saying any one is worse or better than the other. But no one can make that decision but you. Do you think you and your fiance could work it out if you went far? He can't move now, what about later? It's a life decision you're making I guess. And PhD acceptances don't come easy [as this forum so shows]. I don't know. My advice to be honest? Do the PhD. Because it seems like you'd only take the MSW or MPH as a secondary alternative. When you take the PhD you're not leaving your fiance...you're merely splitting for a bit...not even splitting, but being apart...a TON of my professors did that. Lived apart during grad school. They're still married and together. In fact the getting through distance got them stronger.
I can't say for certain because I'm biased as I don't buy into the whole 'love' movie popcorn be together forever and stay by each other's side gag me please now thing. But truly if a PhD is what you want, and you'd be happiest with....

Hahahaha... my best friends birthday is also on April 15th so I'm like no offense but you were born on the worst day ever.
Not to mention its also the day Lincoln was assassinated and the Titanic sank!

Haha wow... April 15th should just be 'let's all hide' day

thanks for the advice. Still deciding, but will have final decision by tomorrow night! still so stuck. i want the degree and have worked so hard to get into a great program but don't want to live the next 5 years of my life by myself.