PhD in Canada and coming back to work in the U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
Feb 25, 2020
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone, I've been searching some threads, blogs, Q/A's with APA/CPA, but haven't really found an answer.

I am a U.S. resident and will be applying to PhD programs in school psychology and/or combined clinical programs here in the states. I know it is best to complete your program here along with an APA accreditation if in the long run you're going to practice/work here. BUT I am thinking of applying for 1 program outside the US. It's in Alberta, Canada at the University of Alberta, Ph.D. program in School and Clinical Child Psychology (accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association).

I was reading and have an understanding that Canada & US still take the EPPP and oral exam. They also go through the same process with APPIC for internship. I read a few things about some Canadian programs ending their accreditation with APA. I was also reading on the Board of Psychology handbook/regulations about Canada and US having very similar trainings and would be able to practice in the US and Canada and would not make either individual go through extra training in order to practice in Canada or US (or something like that).

Anyone know of information about this or be able to point out a place to get more information (before having to email the program directly). ? thank you.


Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2008
Reaction score
Clinical is fine, but I wouldn't study School Psych in Canada if you want to practice as a school psychologist in the United States. School psych is deeply driven by laws and regulations, and those are very country-specific.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users