April 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AryaStark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As April 1st quickly approaches (aka in the next few hours) do schools HAVE to tell you something? I know I read they are encouraged to tell you (waitlist, rejection, acceptance). But if they don't have funding secured yet for all students, are they technically still supposed to tell us that that is the case or are they allowed to wait until whenever they have the funding? Also, can schools technically wait to accept you well into the summer months?

Members don't see this ad.

As April 1st quickly approaches (aka in the next few hours) do schools HAVE to tell you something? I know I read they are encouraged to tell you (waitlist, rejection, acceptance). But if they don't have funding secured yet for all students, are they technically still supposed to tell us that that is the case or are they allowed to wait until whenever they have the funding? Also, can schools technically wait to accept you well into the summer months?

I am wondering the same thing. I am still waiting to hear from my top choice. I have a few other offers, but would rather go to my top choice. I need to let the others know by the 15th of April, so I have a few weeks, but the waiting game is killing me.
I looked at the apa site, and it looks like schools could indeed let you know after April 1st, especially if funding is an issue. I am not sure if there is an actual strict deadline, I think the 1st is just recommended (or at least that is the way I am reading it. I could be wrong).

The April 1 deadline is a deadline, but there are no consequences of significance if a school misses it. A vague sense of embarrassment, perhaps. It gives you (us) the right to feel aggrieved if they miss it, and certainly the right to email/call tomorrow afternoon and ask what's going on.

Of course the April 15th deadline for our reply is set in frakkin' stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you happen to be a Battlestar fan?

The April 1 deadline is a deadline, but there are no consequences of significance if a school misses it. A vague sense of embarrassment, perhaps. It gives you (us) the right to feel aggrieved if they miss it, and certainly the right to email/call tomorrow afternoon and ask what's going on.

Of course the April 15th deadline for our reply is set in frakkin' stone.