April vs. August MCAT

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DLe, Jan 5, 2002.

1. DLe

DLe

Hello everyone, I need some advices on when I should retake the MCAT. I took the MCAT last year already. After the huge disappoinment about my score, I kind of have a phobia about this test. I know that I'll better prepare for the August MCAT, and this will gives me 8 months to work on dealing with the anxiety. However, I am afraid that this will put me behind with the appl. process with DO schools. So what do you guys think I should do? Thanks for your help

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. musikus

musikus Member

hi there,

you should not have any trouble concerning time
    issues (studying + applying).
    The process itself does not take up very much time
    (AACOMAS application + secondary applications).
    depnding on when you send out your primary application you will have plenty of time either way. I took the august mcat, sent off my aacomas after that and then finished my secondary applications, and now I am interviewing.
    so do not stress out too much. study for the mcat, do better then you did and you will be fine.
    good luck!

4. Gidget

Gidget Junior Member

I agree. I took the August MCATs, interviewed in early December and was accepted at the end of December.

5. outgolfing

outgolfing Member

wow....ok...well i also took mcat in august...sent in apps in Nov....but, haven't heard anything....maybe some of you can shine a light on it.....sorry to be the bearer of bad news....
    ;)

6. Doc Blondie

Doc Blondie Member

It's all about when you send the app. I would take august b/c you have more time to study and less stress. Start your app in may and get out your app by july. don't worry about august mcat score. some schools will interview you before you get your new score back and then just wait for it. DON'T WAIT TILL AFTER YOU GET YOU AUGUST MCTAS BACK. i had a friend that did that a year ago and two schools told her flat out if she had her app in ealier they would have accepted each other. Honestly, the worst that happens is a school puts you on hold till aug mcats are out they still look at you sooner then the people who waited becuase they have already reviewed most of your app...sorry outgolfing :(
    but good luck to all ;) :)

7. Doc Blondie

Doc Blondie Member

It's all about when you send the app. I would take august b/c you have more time to study and less stress. Start your app in may and get out your app by july. don't worry about august mcat score. some schools will interview you before you get your new score back and then just wait for it. DON'T WAIT TILL AFTER YOU GET YOU AUGUST MCTAS BACK. i had a friend that did that a year ago and two schools told her flat out if she had her app in ealier they would have accepted each other. Honestly, the worst that happens is a school puts you on hold till aug mcats are out they still look at you sooner then the people who waited becuase they have already reviewed most of your app...sorry outgolfing :(
    but good luck to all ;) :)

8. fiesty4

fiesty4 Junior Member

It is OK to take the August MCAT. As long as you turn in your AACOMAS early (June/July), schools will receive your MCAT score about two weeks after you get them back. I got my MCAT score in mid Oct. I received interviews by November and got rejections/acceptances by around Christmas. Getting a good MCAT score was much more important then timing, since some schools save spots for late applicants. Hope this helps.

9. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is what you do. It may have already been mentioned in some way, but here it is again.

1. FILL OUT AACOMAS WHEN IT BECOMES AVAILABLE ONLINE (MAY OR JUNE OF 2002).

2. YOU ONLY NEED ONE MCAT SCORE TO FILL OUT AND SEND IT IN. FILL OUT THE FORMS.

3. CHECK THE BOX "YES" THAT ASKS IF YOU PLAN TO TAKE THE MCAT AGAIN. SEND IN YOUR AACOMAS.

4. SCHOOLS WILL PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION AND BE WAITING FOR YOUR NEXT SET OF MCAT SCORES.

5. WAIT FOR SECONDARIES. TRY TO GET COPIES FROM FRIENDS AND GET A HEAD START ON ESSAYS.

6. FILL OUT SECONDARIES AND SEND THEM BACK.

7. WAIT FOR AN INTERVIEW.

8. GO TO THE INTERVIEW.

9. GET ACCEPTED.

Good Luck!

10. jhug

jhug 1K Member

the overall feel so far is august... but i would have to say take the april mcat. you still have plenty of time to study and applying earlier will put you at a huge advantage. For what it's worth, and it may not be much, kaplan told my group that the august scores are generally better because you can study longer- the downer to this is that you are scored against others so a score that gets you a 10 in april may only get you an 8 in august. Again, i have never seen proof/evidence of this-- they just told us at kaplan. Really, do what you feel is best for you in your situation. Only you know how prepared you truly are! But i would venture to say that if you do decide to wait-- you better make up for it with a super score. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I wish you the best!

11. DLe

DLe

Hi, thanks everyone for the inputs/advices. Currently, I am taking 3 science classes with lab, one lit, and also hold a research job, I am too agree that the August MCAT is a better choice for me. Plus, since the main thing I need to work on is verbal, I really not sure if I can improve my reading skill within 3 months.
    However, what jhug said about how the August MCAT will have a harder curve worry me. Do you guys know anything about this? I guess this make sense since people will have more time to prepare. Now I am start to get scare :( :(

12. jhug

jhug 1K Member

31097-- don't let what i told you get you scared-- i honestly wouldn't give it too much credit- i heard a lot of untrue things at kaplan :( Just go into it with all the confidence in the world- and even more prepared than you feel and you'll be fine!