APTA-NATA Settlement

Started by atstudent
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

atstudent

Certified Athletic Traine
10+ Year Member
It's funny that you've gotten no responses yet... I think the issue is very well known and a big deal in the Athletic Training community, but PT students are not as aware... probably because it was brought up by NATA. I only even learned about it from my friend who's an athletic trainer and was going on and on about it.
It's definitely true that our scopes of practice overlap. We both do rehab with injured athletes. The issue was about APTA unfairly restricting ATC's in doing manual therapy tho... I could understand this because without the proper education, you could definitely screw up manual therapy and do more harm than good. However, I see nothing wrong with allowing them to take Manual Therapy education courses and practicing it then... afterall they do have a license to back it up.
The joint settlement pretty much just summarizes that ATC's will work within their scope of practice and so will PT's, and both groups will respect each other as professionals. Again, I think this was a much bigger deal to ATC's (as it affects them more), and we just sort of agreed to get them out of our hair.
 
i am glad that they finally reached a mutual agreement and I support that. We need to work together for a better future, not sue each other.