APU DPT Admission Secrets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIFTFORCHANGE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Although this would be specific for APU, I'm sure it would be pretty close to what other DPT locations are looking for. Would you be interested if I posted a thread/youtube video on what Azusa Pacific University admissions are looking for with DPT applicants? I went into the admission office to talk with the board to see what pre-DPT students need to gain a competitive edge, GPA, GRE, experience locations, essay, letters of rec, etc..

They even told me things like if you didn't quite meet the GRE score for one of the sections if you have a a strong ________ and __________ we will actually consider you.

Like or comment if I should make this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes please! I actually just applied for the Jan 2019 cohort and one of my GRE scores is 6 pts below the minimum :( I’m debating on retaking it but I’m wondering if there is anything else in my power left for me to do to be a great applicant from now until the deadline.

Hey guys,

Although this would be specific for APU, I'm sure it would be pretty close to what other DPT locations are looking for. Would you be interested if I posted a thread/youtube video on what Azusa Pacific University admissions are looking for with DPT applicants? I went into the admission office to talk with the board to see what pre-DPT students need to gain a competitive edge, GPA, GRE, experience locations, essay, letters of rec, etc..

They even told me things like if you didn't quite meet the GRE score for one of the sections if you have a a strong ________ and __________ we will actually consider you.

Like or comment if I should make this! :)

Yessssssss! I submitted my application in December and haven't heard back yet. Someone people already got or did their interviews and submitted in February :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes please! I actually just applied for the Jan 2019 cohort and one of my GRE scores is 6 pts below the minimum :( I’m debating on retaking it but I’m wondering if there is anything else in my power left for me to do to be a great applicant from now until the deadline.

What was your GPA like? and Science GPA?

Yessssssss! I submitted my application in December and haven't heard back yet. Someone people already got or did their interviews and submitted in February :/

I know admissions is working really hard right now right applicants. Its a busy time of year - every time i stop by the desks are piled with papers!!! Have you tried a follow up call or email?

What was your GPA like? and Science GPA?
My overall GPA right now is a 3.33 and science is 3.12 so not very competitive :( I’m looking to retake some science courses at a local jc because they’re getting near their expiration dates for most programs.

My overall GPA right now is a 3.33 and science is 3.12 so not very competitive :( I’m looking to retake some science courses at a local jc because they’re getting near their expiration dates for most programs.

Yeah thats a good idea, since they are going to expire anyway. I mean >3.0 is considered decent, but you really want to try to get that up as high as you can. When you mention science GPA, is that "pre-requisites" or...? Idk about other programs, but APU really values mainly SCIENCE (bio, chem, physics). I mention this because oother pre-reqs are like english, stats, etc..

Also, I believe APU looks at the highest grade when you retake your classes, so it works in your favor!!! ;)

Thanks! That was the science GPA that PTCAS had calculated for me! I think my prereq gpa is around the same as my overall. But I have not calculated my gpas on my own so if they do only take the highest grade then I might have a better chance!

Yeah thats a good idea, since they are going to expire anyway. I mean >3.0 is considered decent, but you really want to try to get that up as high as you can. When you mention science GPA, is that "pre-requisites" or...? Idk about other programs, but APU really values mainly SCIENCE (bio, chem, physics). I mention this because oother pre-reqs are like english, stats, etc..

Also, I believe APU looks at the highest grade when you retake your classes, so it works in your favor!!! ;)

Thanks! That was the science GPA that PTCAS had calculated for me! I think my prereq gpa is around the same as my overall. But I have not calculated my gpas on my own so if they do only take the highest grade then I might have a better chance!

Okay thats good! I mean if you get a shot at interviewing, then that's your best bet. You can have the best things on paper, but if your interview isnt great, then it wouldnt be for your benefit. But Im sure youll be just fine! Give this round of applying a chance and if it doesnt work out, you know what you need to work on. (hopefully it doesnt get to that!)

Thanks for all your help!! :)

Reactions: 1 user