Aranjuez's Guide to Scoring above a 23

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aranjuez

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I finally took my DAT, and I'm absolutely thrilled right now at my scores. None of this could've happened if it wasn't through the grace of God. In the spirit of recent posts, I will just say that my AA and TS were either equal to or above a 24. :cool: If you think I'm lying or whatever, that's your business.

Now... for my review of the exam:

Bio
Surprisingly easier than anything that I've taken in practice tests, whether it be Kaplan, TopScore, or Achiever. I did two things on top of those things that I think will guarantee everyone here a great score on the Bio section...

1. Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy of Cliff's AP Bio. Thing is like 300 pages of material that's totally applicable to the DAT. It's awesome... some things go in to more detail than necessary (e.g. Plant structure). In my opinion, the following sections are too detailed: Heredity and Plants. The ones that go into perfect amount of detail are Animal Structure and Function (far better than you'll find in Kaplan), a Five-Kingdom Survey, Photosynthesis and Respiration. I think if you focus on those, you'll be complementing your Kaplan studying fairly well. I didn't use Campbell's; I picked up one of my intro bio books (similar to Campbell's), but felt it went into way too much detail.

2. Buy DAT Destroyer. Hands down, the best source for your bio questions. (Yes, I'll praise Dr. Romano all I want, because the guy is awesome and helped me get the scores I wanted for the DAT). Not only are his questions awesome and comprehensive, they're just the right level of detail, and he's so helpful on the phone. I bought Destroyer last Wednesday, which left me with about 5.5 days to go through it. I probably did the bio section about 4 or 5 times over, and I discussed some issues with him on the phone. He's available most of the time, and if he's not, wait a few minutes and he'll be there for you. Nancy will be a huge help to you too. They knew I was taking the exam in less than a week, and they did everything in their power to get me completely up to speed. Am I advertising for it? Yes! Because it worked. And it'll work for you too.

G. Chem
This was the easiest version I've ever taken for a g. chem. section. I have to say, Achiever destroys you in this section. So does... (you guessed it) DAT Destroyer. If you learn how to do Achiever and Destroyer's g.chem, you'll rock this section, without a doubt. This was my weakest section when I started. I had horrible foundation in g.chem going into this (in high school chem, our "big project" was baking fudge... not really chemistry, is it?) I have to say, though, Kaplan does a great job preparing you for this. I sat down for days doing their white book G.Chem section, making sure I got everything. I also bought two books for this: one for the SAT II Chem and one for AP Chem. Stay away from GRE chem. I did it for a day, and it has way more stuff than you need to know. The other two books are just good practice. Definitely more difficult than anything you'll see on the DAT, but it's great practice.

O. Chem
Probably the easiest of the sciences. I did two things for this: Kaplan and Destroyer. Kaplan's great for the fundamental foundation. If you completely understand what Kaplan presents you, go to Destroyer next. This thing will make you think. Dr. Romano is called orgoman for a reason. In my opinion, no trick questions here. Know the fundamentals, study Destroyer for the extra push, and you'll do great.

TS: Finished with 40 minutes left on the clock. Went to the restroom, then came back and reviewed it about 6 times.

PAT
People weren't kidding when they said angle rankings were hard. I'm almost sure I missed half of those. They're harder than Achiever. You heard me right. On the other hand... keyholes were the easiest I've ever seen, easier than K, TS, and A. TFE were easy too. I've always been good at hole punching, but they're folds aren't exactly as they have them in TS and K. I got maybe 2 half holes. Pattern folding was cake.

RC
Tricky business. I had Magnesium, something to do with hormones, and the herbal passages. Search through the forums for more detail on these. I did NOT use Kaplan's outline technique, and I did very well. Just search for the answers. And dont' panic. I started to halfway through the first passage, but I knew I'd get through everything. Finished with a good 20 minutes left.

QR
Easiest QR I've seen (I know it sounds like everything I had was easy... but I was just well prepared, I guess). Destroyer helps here; but you have to keep in mind, for math, there's so many topics to cover and it's not really something you focus on when studying. I didn't get any supplementary books for this. I didn't do Kaplan's questions in their white book either. Just the exams online, along with TS and A. If you can do those, you'll know your stuff. Finished with 20 minutes on the clock.

Overall
The DAT isn't as bad as you may think. I put in a huge amount of time studying for this, gave up hanging out with my friends for the entire summer. But don't get me wrong, I didn't dedicate 8 hours a day or anything to it. A good 4-5 hours per day, and then up it to about 6 or 7 in the last week. I didn't touch any material Sunday or Monday, and only did math and PAT on Saturday. It's difficult to force yourself not to study.

I was incredibly nervous this morning. Could barely eat a banana (true story). It really is emotionally taxing. But once you get in that seat and you start, you fly. 4.5 hrs go by quickly!

To save you all the time of posting to ask for my TS and A scores:

Topscore:
Bio/GChem/Ochem/PAT/QR
24/23/30/22/26
26/28/30/21/29 (RC here was 25)
22/28/28/23/29

Achiever:
Bio/GChem/Ochem/PAT
21/19/19/18
19/18/19/19
17/18/19 (no PAT)

PM me if you have any more questions. I will NOT provide any actual DAT questions or answers. I wish you all the best of luck!

P.S. Check out Amsie's Destroyer review. It's good Bio review for those who are serious. And Amsie... you were the best person to talk to throughout all of this. Congratulations on your scores again!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratz bro! I could see it coming for ya.

Wow, congrats!
And thank you for the tips.
I am about to go to Barnes and Noble and get the Cliff's AP Bio.
Just left a message to Dr.Romano ^ ^
Hope things work out for me, too.:p

Members don't see this ad :)
so was your pat score crap or something? bragging about the TS/AA while saying nothing about the pat. curiously absent. were you 24/25/18???

so was your pat score crap or something? bragging about the TS/AA while saying nothing about the pat. curiously absent. were you 24/25/18???

and that wouldn't still be a great score??? Strange way to ask for a PAT score.

You should change your member name to "iAnnoyPeople"

It will fit your personality. :D :laugh: ;) :p

are you that chick in the picture? or is that your homely girlfriend?

i'm sorry but you are asking for a serious verbal beating with a name and attitude like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
people, stop hanging out on this forum and go do something productive!

Amsie, when's the last time a man touched you? Sounds like it's been a while, if ever.

so says the dip**** who makes threads about why everyone on sdn should bow before them because of their ivy league education...

way to detract from the issue at hand. and learn to read, maybe. I said nothing of the sort. go get laid and loosen up.

Come come children...lets all play nice. This is aaaaaarrrrrraaaaannnnnjjjjuuueeezzzzzz's thread about how he utterly and completely kicked my ass on the DAT. Let's all be happy for him and let bygones be bygones. :D

i think JKH and IDIOT must be related...:smuggrin: :laugh:

sorry aranjuez, didn't mean to ruin your thread. One thing nobody can take away from you is your great scores. great job.

i think JKH and IDIOT must be related...:smuggrin: :laugh:

sorry aranjuez, didn't mean to ruin your thread. One thing nobody can take away from you is your great scores. great job.

don't hurt yourself coming up with clever things to say. but you know what? I'll give you another chance. Another chance to come up with something clever. don't mess up twice, now.

....AJ, congrats. you did good. You knew your junk cold.

wait wait wait...

what is this jkh?

"congrats. you did good. You knew your junk cold."

no calling BS on this like you call BS on everyone else? man...what is the world coming to...???

aranjuez, congrats, you definitely deserve it

...and sorry i couldn't help it, jkh had it coming

he knew his stuff. that was clear. he's one of the few ppl on here who sounded intelligent. Just listen to some of his thoughts.

some the others sounded like they're high off something. can't read. can't do math. can't this, can't that.

don't hurt yourself coming up with clever things to say. but you know what? I'll give you another chance. Another chance to come up with something clever. don't mess up twice, now.

....AJ, congrats. you did good. You knew your junk cold.

You know, I would have taken the chance to come with something clever but i said it just right and simple the first time and I will repeat in case your slow @$$ memory can't handle the big words : "JKH and IDIOT must be related."

You know, I would have taken the chance to come with something clever but i said it just right and simple the first time and I will repeat in case your slow @$$ memory can't handle the big words : "JKH and IDIOT must be related."

it's cliche and predictable. try again. you still got that one chance.

by the way, JKH you really bring you senseless humor to this board. I didn't get a chance to welcome you to the board back then. Welcome

by the way, JKH you really bring you senseless humor to this board. I didn't get a chance to welcome you to the board back then. Welcome

no need. I have other things to do.

like volunteering, which is abundantly missing from peoples' records from the looks of predents. makes me wonder why people go into the field when they have no real track record of helping others.

like volunteering, which is abundantly missing from peoples' records from the looks of predents. makes me wonder why people go into the field when they have no real track record of helping others.

I'd love to hear how you contribute to society(besides the fact that we get to laugh at you, as our break from studying. Yeah...that sorta helps alleviate stress.)

Ya, thanks so much for your humor. I really appreciate it. Can I nominate you and IDIOT for the funniest IDIOT award on SDN?

Uhh... any question about the DAT, maybe? I would have told you my PAT score if you had asked politely... (not trying to start another argument, just saying). I did well in it too.

It's unfortunate that you had to go and start an argument like this on this forum. People are here to learn, ask questions, and benefit from each others experiences.

And for those of you bickering back and forth... what's the point? Someone win something for who can slam who better? I thought we all used to get along fine, and we didn't cause any trouble. Just benefitting from each other. I understand many of you may be stressed about the DAT's and the frustration may be heightened by the fact that quite a number of people are doing so well on the DAT. Is it intimidating to see great scores from other people? Yes. Which is why I didn't want to post mine. The reason I said I got a minimum of 24 in those areas is to give validity to my studying techniques and to encourage others to go out and get more books, like the AP Bio, and get some more studying in. I'm just here to help out.

I'm disappointed.

aranjuez

Uhh... any question about the DAT, maybe? I would have told you my PAT score if you had asked politely... (not trying to start another argument, just saying). I did well in it too.

It's unfortunate that you had to go and start an argument like this on this forum. People are here to learn, ask questions, and benefit from each others experiences.

And for those of you bickering back and forth... what's the point? Someone win something for who can slam who better? I thought we all used to get along fine, and we didn't cause any trouble. Just benefitting from each other. I understand many of you may be stressed about the DAT's and the frustration may be heightened by the fact that quite a number of people are doing so well on the DAT. Is it intimidating to see great scores from other people? Yes. Which is why I didn't want to post mine. The reason I said I got a minimum of 24 in those areas is to give validity to my studying techniques and to encourage others to go out and get more books, like the AP Bio, and get some more studying in. I'm just here to help out.

I'm disappointed.

aranjuez

Man you are so going to dental school. :thumbup:

haha aw aranjuez don't be dissapointed in us, we're just wondering why people like jkh and IDIOT have to waltz in and talk smack all the time!

apologies aranjuez, for contributing to the smack talk

Amazing scores. Man, i kinda wish i invested in dr Ramono and DAT Destroyer...seems like everyone who uses it gets like above a 24...anyway, great job and gl in your future career in dentistry. :thumbup:

Solstica, sorry. I can't answer that because I never got the Princeton Review materials. To tell you the truth, Kaplan Blue Book is very comprehensive and will lead you to a good score in G. Chem. Make sure to get the DAT Destroyer, though, as this will surely put you up above a score of 20. I say this without a doubt in my mind if you're dedicated to it.

Venus... get that bad boy. Sucker's worth it's weight in gold.

aranjuez

Hey congradulationsss on your scores!! Have you gotten any interviews back!!

Hello,

I will be taking the DAT on Dec. 9,2006. What chapters did you avoid in AP BIOLOGY?Thanks in advance.

rdr

Now... for my review of the exam:

Congratulations on the DAT scores.

I am certain many pre-dental students also appreciate you taking the time to write out this review, and will find it very helpful. It is these type of posts that add value to SDN.

Hey there,

In my opinion, the following sections are too detailed: Heredity and Plants. The ones that go into perfect amount of detail are Animal Structure and Function (far better than you'll find in Kaplan), a Five-Kingdom Survey, Photosynthesis and Respiration. I think if you focus on those, you'll be complementing your Kaplan studying fairly well. I didn't use Campbell's; I picked up one of my intro bio books (similar to Campbell's), but felt it went into way too much detail.

In my opinion, get DAT Destroyer (I know many people are turned off from it because a lot of people seem to be advertising for it; a month ago, I was one of those annoyed people that didn't want to hear anything about DAT Destroyer... I later got it and helped out tremendously. If you're in Southern California, I can sell you my copy at a discounted rate, if you want.)

Please, let me know if you need anything else.

aranjuez

I am not in Southern California,but I am in Texas. How much are you planning on selling it for?

rr

Hey Aranjuez just checking on how your interview process is going...hope everything is going well.

Rhonda, feel free to PM me.

Law, the interview process is... non-existent as of yet. I think I got my apps in too late to be considered in first round interviews. I am, needless to say, quite stressed about this, but eh... I can't really find any comfort anywhere... just sit and wait now, I guess. I'll keep you all posted.

aranjuez

Dont worry man youll be fine your scores are great just keep faith. Keep me posted best of luck!