Archenteron

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT is tomorrow so if someone could please answer that would be great. Is this true or false? The archenteron in lower species forms into the primitive gut/anus but in higher species (eg. humans) it forms into the mouth. I know this is the most random insignificant question but its just bugging me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I think it's false as archenetron forms the primitive gut in higher species such as humans and other chordates. The opening of archenetron in lower species (Protostomes, which are invertebrates) forms the mouth, but in Deuterostomes (Chordates plus Echinodermats) it forms the anus.

PS. Good luck on your DAT tomorrow, I am doing mine tomorrow as well.

My DAT is tomorrow so if someone could please answer that would be great. Is this true or false? The archenteron in lower species forms into the primitive gut/anus but in higher species (eg. humans) it forms into the mouth. I know this is the most random insignificant question but its just bugging me. Thanks!

The opening of the archenteron is called the "blastopore". In protostomes, the blastopore becomes the mouth. In deuterostomes (which humans fall into), it becomes the anus.

Hope this helps.