Blastocoel vs Archenteron?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrazilianRider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference?

Only thing I can think of is that the blastocoel is fluid-filled and found in the late morula/blastula stages and the archenteron is the now-drained cavity which is exposed to the outside world via the blastospore in gastrulas...

Is this right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly certain you are correct.

Edit: Thanks, for posting this by the way. It prompted me to read up on repro/development. I'm still sure you are correct with your blastocoele/archenteron distinction.

Last edited:
Any confirmation on this. Because from the diagrams it seems to me that the archenteron is the now-drained cavity BUT the blastocoel looks like thin film (a according to wikipedia blastocoel is a fluid-filled cavity). Any confirmation on this would help

Morula (solid ball of cells) -> Blastula (hollow ball of cells) -> Gastrula (invagination of the blastula to form three cell layers [think of pushing your finger into a ballon])
Blastocoel is the inside of the blastula which is hollow and fluid-filled
Once the Gastrula invaginates
it forms a cavity the is called the archenteron and the opening of this cavity is called the blastopore
images