ARCOM vs KYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hootyhoo35

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have been so lucky to get accepted at ARCOM and KYCOM and with the deposit deadline coming up I am trying to make a decision between the two.
Both, from the information I have, seem almost indistinguishable (what I’ve heard from touring and talking to current students): both are graded, have research opportunities for students, and both seem extremely dedicated to helping you succeed. The only difference in cost seems to be the first year. KYCOM also offers their “advantage” that pays for boards, ipad, stethoscope, textbooks so I am not sure how much of a difference that makes in the later years.

The differences I have noticed is ARCOM curriculum seems to be focused on building on previous concepts, with KYCOM now being systems based. The size in the cities are also very different. I have lived in towns close to both sizes so that’s not a make or break for me.
My biggest concern is I see myself doing ortho/sports med or oncology and I know KYCOM is super focused on primary care, while ARCOM seems more wide open. ARCOM is also about 13 hours from home and KYCOM is 3.

Any advice or suggestions on helping me decide??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!
I have been so lucky to get accepted at ARCOM and KYCOM and with the deposit deadline coming up I am trying to make a decision between the two.
Both, from the information I have, seem almost indistinguishable (what I’ve heard from touring and talking to current students): both use pass/fail, have research opportunities for students, and both seem extremely dedicated to helping you succeed. The only difference in cost seems to be the first year. KYCOM also offers their “advantage” that pays for boards, ipad, stethoscope, textbooks so I am not sure how much of a difference that makes in the later years.

The differences I have noticed is ARCOM curriculum seems to be focused on building on previous concepts, with KYCOM not being as focused on this. The size in the cities are also very different. I have lived in towns close to both sizes so that’s not a make or break for me.
My biggest concern is I see myself doing ortho/sports med or oncology and I know KYCOM is super focused on primary care, while ARCOM seems more wide open. ARCOM is also about 13 hours from home and KYCOM is 3.

Any advice or suggestions on helping me decide??
Congratulations! 3rd year here at ARCOM currently on rotations. ARCOM faculty really do want you to succeed. They have an open door policy. We did have another successful match this year being a new school. The curriculum is graded and you do have class rank. Some of your labs/skills are pass/fail though. Professors do review a lot of previous learned material which was very helpful for Boards. I felt very prepared. My class had 96% first time pass rate. Ultimately, I would go where you feel most comfortable and consider $. 3 hours from home vs 13 is a lot to think about. You can PM me if you have any other questions. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user