ARCOM vs. RVUCOM-CO

Started by Mondojett
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mondojett

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have luckily been accepted into both of my top choices! Here is a little about me:
  • I happened to grow up in Arkansas and am now finishing my undergrad in Colorado (I love both locations).
  • I have family in Arkansas close to school
  • I have a SO in Colorado as well as friends from undergrad
  • Big outdoors/active person and have loved picking up snowboarding.
  • Debating costs of medical school and how much it matters how much debt I have (I am interested in sports med, ortho, and have an open mind to pretty much anything)
  • Both have federal loans available
RVUCOM-CO
Pro:
  • Exceptional Board Pass rates (98%)
  • Pass/Fail grading
  • No mandatory attendance (I would probably be going anyway)
  • Get to be in CO and Ski (Close to friends and SO from undergrad)
  • Competitive Matching? (only 2 in Ortho, but they don’t focus on fam med)
  • I enjoy the curriculum structure and think their surgery applications are amazing
  • Seems to focus on STEP and LEVEL Exams


Con:
  • Competing for rotations, does not seem you would stay in Denver area (Kansas and South Dakota)
  • Does not seem to match students in CO, always seem to match out of state
  • Pretty High cost of living (Parker outside of Denver, away from mountains)
  • High Tuition ($64,254)
  • Harder to find research opportunities (help me learn about this one!)
  • For profit institution (I didn’t get a bad vibe but for sure have heard some rough things)
  • Not a modern facility, somewhat small feeling

ARCOM
Pro:
  • Established rotations, seems like lots of hands on experience
  • Brand new research facility, 15 minutes from campus
  • Low cost of living (Fort Smith is way cheaper)
  • Lower Tuition ($55,775 first year and moves to $46,450 last two years)
  • Match a lot of students to Arkansas, great if I plan to live there
  • Close to Mom and Dad, good food/activities in the area
  • Newer building and great technology
  • One of the best conversations I have had with a Dean, open door policy.
  • Some of the best contact from admin, made me feel at home
Con:
  • Board Pass rates lower (93%)
  • Mandatory class and dress code (did not seem too bad and after 1st semester not mandatory)
  • Matching into less competitive specialties, most are family med (although surprisingly had more ortho thank RVU)
  • Can be kind of boring in Fort Smith (how much free time will I actually have?)
  • Letter graded
  • Not 100% sure the curriculum is great

Like I said before these were my top two choices going into this cycle, I would be happy at either one but would love to hear from some students at each institution! Thanks for the help guys.