ARCOM vs. WCUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshCat89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both and just wanted some extra input before I make a decision.

ARCOM
pros. Great community support.
Research opportunities.
cons. More expensive tuition.
Hasn’t graduated a class yet.

WCUCOM
pros. More established with pretty
good residencies.
Cheaper tuition.
cons. Not a research heavy institution
Bad reputation?

This is all info that I’ve gathered from SDN and more input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, they both have about the same tuition WCU is $44K and ARCOM is $43K (if anything ARCOM is cheaper). COL is probably about the same too. WCU used to have issues in the past, but it seems like they have resolved most of them now. On that note, I would say go with your gut. I don't think either one is better than the other, but research opportunities at ARCOM may be a plus I guess if you really get something out of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, they both have about the same tuition WCU is $44K and ARCOM is $43K (if anything ARCOM is cheaper). COL is probably about the same too. WCU used to have issues in the past, but it seems like they have resolved most of them now. On that note, I would say go with your gut. I don't think either one is better than the other, but research opportunities at ARCOM may be a plus I guess if you really get something out of it.
Thanks for the input :)!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to both and just wanted some extra input before I make a decision.

ARCOM
pros. Great community support.
Research opportunities.
cons. More expensive tuition.
Hasn’t graduated a class yet.

WCUCOM
pros. More established with pretty
good residencies.
Cheaper tuition.
cons. Not a research heavy institution
Bad reputation?

This is all info that I’ve gathered from SDN and more input would be greatly appreciated.
LOL just out of curiosity what real research opportunities does such a new DO school like ARCOM really have? IF its just a lab then WCUCOM has a 2500sq ft lab as well, we have multiple MD schools close by which makes it easy to do a project over a summer, idk of any MD school near to ARCOM(UAMS is 2-3 hours away?), USM is in town as well where our students do research and we have some kind of tie up with Cleveland clinic at the National Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute down on the coast where the WCU school of pharmacy is. Realistically research opportunities are about the same at both schools, which is they aren't amazing at either but not non-existent either..

LOL just out of curiosity what real research opportunities does such a new DO school like ARCOM really have? IF its just a lab then WCUCOM has a 2500sq ft lab as well, we have multiple MD schools close by which makes it easy to do a project over a summer, idk of any MD school near to ARCOM(UAMS is 2-3 hours away?), USM is in town as well where our students do research and we have some kind of tie up with Cleveland clinic at the National Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute down on the coast where the WCU school of pharmacy is. Realistically research opportunities are about the same at both schools, which is they aren't amazing at either but not non-existent either..
Accurate assessment.

Actually we have a whole building now dedicated to research. Plus millions being poured into it. I hope they actually do something out of it for the students though.

"The Windgate Foundation, with assets of $698 million, made grants totaling $62.6 million in 2019, just shy of Walton’s Home Region total. They included 10 grants totaling just shy of $8 million to the Arkansas Colleges of Health Education in Fort Smith. Arkansas State’s $4.7 million went to construction of a 3D Arts Center; UA Fort Smith’s $1.7 million was for arts programing and scholarship endowment."

Plus we had a faculty that got a NIH grant. That will probably get renewed if not already as he had some pretty good results and published multiple papers with students already.

Actually we have a whole building now dedicated to research. Plus millions being poured into it. I hope they actually do something out of it for the students though.

"The Windgate Foundation, with assets of $698 million, made grants totaling $62.6 million in 2019, just shy of Walton’s Home Region total. They included 10 grants totaling just shy of $8 million to the Arkansas Colleges of Health Education in Fort Smith. Arkansas State’s $4.7 million went to construction of a 3D Arts Center; UA Fort Smith’s $1.7 million was for arts programing and scholarship endowment."

Plus we had a faculty that got a NIH grant. That will probably get renewed if not already as he had some pretty good results and published multiple papers with students already.
Ahh I see yea that is pretty solid..