Resume/CV for LOR writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnwicksdog

Reaction score
Hello! So I am getting ready to ask some of my professors for a letter of Rec and I know a resume/CV is one of the main things you give to them but what should the resume/cv look like. I feel like standard cv/resume consists of bullet points and objective task/accomplishments/activity descriptions and don't have room for reflection or what each activity means to you (aka like the amcas activities section) which I feel is super important a letter writer to know. I know all of them quite well int he context of the classes I've taken with them and also beyond as a person but they obviously don't know all the stuff I've done. How am I supposed to go about this to get the best possible letters? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When asking for my LORs, I reached out in-person to professors/supervisors that I kept in close contact with despite time and distance, and asked if they could write me a strong, positive LOR for my medical school application.

I then followed up with an email consisting of:
  • guidance from AAMC about writing an LOR,
  • logistics of when I would need the LOR by and where they would submit it, and
  • a "biosketch".
The biosketch consisted of the following:
  • Specific potential talking points that they can write in the LOR. For example, did you have a particularly memorable experience / project / activity with them? Do you want them to talk about a specific aspect of your character, e.g., dedication to service, depth of science knowledge, team-work / leadership / etc.?
  • Autobiography Summary*
    • Family and cultural background
    • Pre-college experiences
    • College experiences
    • Post-graduate experiences
    • Interest in medicine

*Regarding the autobiography, I had written it up already as it was required for my college's advising office for the committee letter. Assuming you don't have it yet, I think you can provide a list of activities (resume / CV / draft of your AMCAS activities section) and your draft personal statement. Having read through two of my LORs, I'm not sure these are absolutely necessary (esp. the list of activities) for the letter writer as my letter writers never mentioned them, but always better to have than have not. The talking points are most helpful in my humble opinion.

Also, you need to give your letter writers enough time to write, so I personally, would not work too hard on prepping the activities list or draft personal statement at the expense of delaying my request. As long as what I give them is 80% sufficient information, I would be fine sending to my letter writers. For example, I did not even have close to a draft of my personal statement when requesting LORs, so just sent some bullets with a general idea of why medicine.

Make sure to end the email saying that you're happy to support them in their writing process / can supply more information as needed. This will keep doors open in case they need anything else.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The biosketch consisted of the following:
  • Specific potential talking points that they can write in the LOR. For example, did you have a particularly memorable experience / project / activity with them? Do you want them to talk about a specific aspect of your character, e.g., dedication to service, depth of science knowledge, team-work / leadership / etc.?
  • Autobiography Summary*
    • Family and cultural background
    • Pre-college experiences
    • College experiences
    • Post-graduate experiences
    • Interest in medicine
Second this.
The only professor I didn't send this too was a prof who I felt knew me better than any words I could put on paper. Unless you are completely confident on your relationship with the professor, definitely attach a biosketch along with your CV/resume regardless of whether they ask for it, the worst that they could do is not read it.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't find the letters that depend on a biosketch to be at all helpful. I don't need the writer to rehash what is in your biosketch. I don't need to know your GPA or even your grade in the course you took with them. This is already in your application.

I do need to know what the writer has seen and what the writer has heard first-hand. Were you a good communicator in person and in writing, both one-on -one and in small or large groups. Were you helpful to others in lab or in group projects? Were you prompt? Did you have set backs and were you successful in overcoming those? Did you demonstrate good time management skills? Were you friendly and personable even to those who could do nothing for you? (e.g. respectful to the custodial staff in the building). Did you attend office hours, show curiosity and a desire for learning for learning's sake or going beyond the basic material?

This is almost impossible in enormous classes in schools where you are just a name in a course management system (aka grade book) which is why it is important to cultivate professional relationships in upper level courses with smaller class size.

Reactions: 1 user