Are all the chain Pharmacies the same?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheChemist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they all offer the same benefits and flexibility? Are there better ones to work for? Are there some that you should stay clear of? How do the chain pharmacies compare with the supermarkets, targets, walmarts, costcos etc.

Members don't see this ad.

There are huge differences but no good generalizations to make. You just have to check out each place individually at your time of hire. Things can change pretty quickly so someplace that had decent benefits on year might stink the next. I remember the day WalMart announced that it would no longer match unlimited contributions to the retirement account and would limit contributions to 2%/year. Then, there was the day that Albertsons decided to make f/t pharmacists salaried and eliminate sick leave for all employees.

You'll get the pitch from each one at career fairs. For my particular benefit needs, Walgreens is better. Also, the shorter work days are better for me. I can't do a 12-hour shift. I get tired and I'll make mistakes.