Are American med schools the best in the nation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samiamm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere a while ago that being from an international med school, no matter what your stats, would make it harder to land a residency here. I don't know if its 100% true, but if so, why? Do we have a standard at our med school far above other nations. Also, would an American med school student have an easier time finding a job in a different, modern nation?

Edit. I put "nation" in the title, I meant internationally. Sorry for that

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if it's so much about standards as it is for political reasons. The U.S. government puts a lot of money into medical education especially state schools and this money is really tax payers money. So if the country is going to invest all of this money into medical education, it is only fair that they see the fruition and gain the benefits of their investment.

And if you look at it on an even larger scale, if it was easy for foreign doctors to practice in the U.S. this could be detrimental to third world countries that are in need of doctors and since those countries trained those doctors themselves, it would be unfair that we as a country are "stealing" them.

And then it could also be just the simple fact that the U.S. is just trying to take care of their own before they worry about the rest of the world.

I'm not sure if it's so much about standards as it is for political reasons. The U.S. government puts a lot of money into medical education especially state schools and this money is really tax payers money. So if the country is going to invest all of this money into medical education, it is only fair that they see the fruition and gain the benefits of their investment.

And if you look at it on an even larger scale, if it was easy for foreign doctors to practice in the U.S. this could be detrimental to third world countries that are in need of doctors and since those countries trained those doctors themselves, it would be unfair that we as a country are "stealing" them.

And then it could also be just the simple fact that the U.S. is just trying to take care of their own before they worry about the rest of the world.

Sad thing is even with how hard it is to practise here as a FMG, they still leave the underdevelped countries in droves because the situations there are so dismal...:(

But I think this brings up the point that American med schools AREN'T the best, based on this "evidence" because of lolly gags answer

Sad thing is even with how hard it is to practise here as a FMG, they still leave the underdevelped countries in droves because the situations there are so dismal...:(

I know :(

But I think this brings up the point that American med schools AREN'T the best, based on this "evidence" because of lolly gags answer

Just found this!

http://www.timeshighereducation.co....s/2011-2012/clinical-pre-clinical-health.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/data...iversity-rankings-medicine-biology-psychology

Take them with a grain of salt though because how do you define the "best medical school" anyhow? The U.S. defines it as research, but europe may describe it as best primary care :confused:

What an interesting question. Are the 167 American medical schools as an aggregate better than the University of Queensland School of Medicine Clinical School at Ochsner, LA.

Well, considering UQSMCS@O is not even a full four year medical school, I would say that American Medical Schools are indeed the best schools in the US, considering the 1 alternative (or 2 other ones that I'm not going to bother digging up).

A better question would be which state has the best medical schools, as seen from Europe/everyone else:

how-europe-views-the-us.png

What an interesting question. Are the 167 American medical schools as an aggregate better than the University of Queensland School of Medicine Clinical School at Ochsner, LA.

Well, considering UQSMCS@O is not even a full four year medical school, I would say that American Medical Schools are indeed the best schools in the US, considering the 1 alternative (or 2 other ones that I'm not going to bother digging up).

Must've not read the edit

America is the best at everything, especially at being the best. What a dumb thread.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

#1 America #1 Olympics. #1

FP9lh.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida deserves a piece of that.

Between mardi gras and katrina id say new orleans deserves the entire gulf and southeast area.

I wouldn't mind being a Texan resident mainly for medical school.

Haha true. Also, this characterization only brings California from 8 to 10, so Cali still remains the worst option for state residency.

A few things... the best and brightest US "pre-meds" get into medical schools in the US. With very rare exception (just saying that to cover my butt) the US students who attend off-shore schools are not as talented/academically strong as those attend US schools. So, when it comes time to offer these newly minted physicians residencies, who is most likely to be chosen? The graduates of the US med schools. Does that make sense?

Graduates of foreign medical schools who are not American born are at a disadvantage in terms of understanding of US language and culture. They do have an opportunity to pass board exam, obtain a residency and eventually get a work visa in the US. Why would an employer go to all that trouble if they can hire a US citizen?... most do so only because they can't get a US citizen to take the job (residency and attending positions in god-forsaken places) or because the FMG is a superstar researcher/clinician.

What are the other non-American medical schools in the United States?

America, **** Yea!

Of course American residency positions will discriminate in favor of US citizens, just like anywhere else in the world. I can't just walk into a German residency program just because I trained in the USA.

America, **** Yea!

Of course American residency positions will discriminate in favor of US citizens, just like anywhere else in the world. I can't just walk into a German residency program just because I trained in the USA.

Sure you can. We won WW2 and therefore we own their asses.