You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Are applicants to PT school increasing or decreasing since the DPT?
Started by lee9786
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This is tough to answer as I don't think the "DPT" itself is the reason for increase or decrease in applicants. I'm sure there are those that see it as more enticing as a doctorate and hence, was a reason why they applied.
However, with the increase in the number of PT schools, the advent of the PTCAS, and recent job stability of working in health care, I think there are now more applicants.
I haven't heard a decrease of applicants since the late 90s, and that was due to the medicare caps. In my opinion, it's the insurance companies that dictate the fluctuation and not the DPT.
However, with the increase in the number of PT schools, the advent of the PTCAS, and recent job stability of working in health care, I think there are now more applicants.
I haven't heard a decrease of applicants since the late 90s, and that was due to the medicare caps. In my opinion, it's the insurance companies that dictate the fluctuation and not the DPT.
I've actually heard that the DPT has had an adverse affect on number of applicants because of the increased educational requirements vs the salary data for PT. Since the prereqs are generally in line with premed, PA, and PharmD, more potential applicants have been going that route. The fact that there is no additional financial benefit for obtaining the DPT to offset the increased cost of education was another reason brought up. I had a discussion with a PTA today who stated the application rate was down at one of the nearby PT schools.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've actually heard that the DPT has had an adverse affect on number of applicants because of the increased educational requirements vs the salary data for PT. Since the prereqs are generally in line with premed, PA, and PharmD, more potential applicants have been going that route. The fact that there is no additional financial benefit for obtaining the DPT to offset the increased cost of education was another reason brought up. I had a discussion with a PTA today who stated the application rate was down at one of the nearby PT schools.
As I tried to point out earlier, if there is a decrease of applicants, I find it hard to believe it is solely because of the DPT and the educational requirements. I think that school you referenced may not be representative of all programs across the country and PT school as a whole. I know a few schools that actually has had an increase of applicants. I'm sure there are tons of reasons as to why each school fluctuates in applications.
Last edited:
In my opinion, it's the insurance companies that dictate the fluctuation and not the DPT.
How do you think the proposed medicare cuts are going to affect compensation and the nature of work for PT services?
I get so sick of hearing about people choosing careers because of salary. So why don't I care about making money? I don't care because money doesn't mean much to me. However, helping patients and athletes means a lot. Being a PT is about helping people get better and helping them attain their functional/athletic goals. Let's face it, as long as you're earning enough to pay the bills and put food on the table, you don't need any more money. Everything beyond the essentials is a luxury. If you're in this profession to make money and bounce from job to job for a bigger paycheck, then GET OUT OF THE PROFESSION!!! Try business.
I get so sick of hearing about people choosing careers because of salary. So why don't I care about making money? I don't care because money doesn't mean much to me. However, helping patients and athletes means a lot. Being a PT is about helping people get better and helping them attain their functional/athletic goals. Let's face it, as long as you're earning enough to pay the bills and put food on the table, you don't need any more money. Everything beyond the essentials is a luxury. If you're in this profession to make money and bounce from job to job for a bigger paycheck, then GET OUT OF THE PROFESSION!!! Try business.
I think it would be irresponsible to not understand how legislative matters are going to affect salary and nature of work. Greed and fiscal responsibility are two different things. Sorry I hit a nerve. Have a great day!
Last edited:
Why are you asking about the amount of PT applicants? Just curious, or trying to gauge how many people you're up against when you apply? If the latter, stop! 🙂 You can't control how many other people apply to PT schools alongside you; focus on what you can control (GPA, GRE, hours, interview prep, etc) and do everything you can to make your profile look good.
There are many reasons why it is important to know if the applicants to DPT programs are increasing or decreasing. It's equally important to know why. I don't feel like going into all the reasons but generally if there are an exponential decrease of applicants than ultimately the quality and credibility of the DPT could be put into question.
The DPT was introduced because the APTA wants the profession to work in an autonomous fashion and with this the credibility of the practitioner is the key component. If misdiagnosis becomes an issue then forget the vision of an autonomous PT run clinic. A more educated PT is always better for the patient because it increases the quality of care. More qualified eyes are looking over the patient records and assuring that nothing was missed.
So this isn't a mission to see what I'm up against in terms of competition. I feel confident that I'm in the upper tier of applicants. If I don't get in this year I'll apply again next year. I hope there is competition and remains to be competition for years to come. This is about having a prospective view on the career of physical therapy and not just what is in the here and now. It seems to me Medicare cuts will decrease compensation for this profession. With this decrease there remains an increase in educational costs. I see a problem. I have been wrong before and who knows maybe I'm wrong now. Now for Physics... 😱
The DPT was introduced because the APTA wants the profession to work in an autonomous fashion and with this the credibility of the practitioner is the key component. If misdiagnosis becomes an issue then forget the vision of an autonomous PT run clinic. A more educated PT is always better for the patient because it increases the quality of care. More qualified eyes are looking over the patient records and assuring that nothing was missed.
So this isn't a mission to see what I'm up against in terms of competition. I feel confident that I'm in the upper tier of applicants. If I don't get in this year I'll apply again next year. I hope there is competition and remains to be competition for years to come. This is about having a prospective view on the career of physical therapy and not just what is in the here and now. It seems to me Medicare cuts will decrease compensation for this profession. With this decrease there remains an increase in educational costs. I see a problem. I have been wrong before and who knows maybe I'm wrong now. Now for Physics... 😱
...
Last edited:
I get so sick of hearing about people choosing careers because of salary. So why dont I care about making money? I dont care because money doesnt mean much to me. However, helping patients and athletes means a lot. Being a PT is about helping people get better and helping them attain their functional/athletic goals. Lets face it, as long as youre earning enough to pay the bills and put food on the table, you dont need any more money. Everything beyond the essentials is a luxury. If youre in this profession to make money and bounce from job to job for a bigger paycheck, then GET OUT OF THE PROFESSION!!! Try business.
Yes, a physiotherapist helps his or her patients feel better and attain greater function in their lives. There is intrinsic satisfaction in helping your fellow man. It is why the overwhelming majority of individuals join the profession. ... Now that we are all basking in the warm glow of altruism, let me stress the following:
While I am overjoyed that your socioeconomic status and/or spiritual enlightenment allows you the luxury of a glib or disdainful attitude for fair compensation... our profession is our business. Do. Not. Be. Naive.
One works long and hard through high school to get into college. In college one puts his/herself deep into debt and works longer and harder years to be eligible to be considered for acceptance into physiotherapy school. One puts him/herself further into debt and continues to work longer and harder still for years to be able to sit for the boards and finally join the profession. Once in the profession the trend of hard work continues as you strive to offer the best patient care.
As physiotherapist one possesses a unique set of skills that no one else provides. These skill possess a financial value. You may work happily for minimum wage, but know that the rest of the monies reimbursed for your intellectual and physical labor will then be going into someone else's pocket (example: physiotherapy departments in hospitals frequently finance the operations of other departments). By accepting your minimum wage you lower the bar and set a compensation precedent for all other physiotherapist in the department/office which ripples through the city... county...state... region... nation. This would be even worse if you had your own clinic and took that attitude with the third party payers.
I work locum tenes. I "bounce from job to job for a bigger paycheck". I'm in my third year of practice and am compensated approximately 120K per year for my 40hr/wk. Do you think that where I practice in any way, shape or form negatively impacts the patient care I render? No. (If anything it provides the opportunity to learn from clinicians all across the country and to teach others what I know -- all of which fosters better patient care.) No matter the location of job I'm practicing physiotherapy. I could be doing the same thing for 60k. But why would I?
There are already enough bodies at work attempting to devalue our profession. We do not need additional support for this from within. So once you get through with all of your education go fight tooth and nail for every last red cent you can because you deserve it. Or, if not for yourself, do it for the rest of us who feel they deserve a few creature comforts along the way and the right to retire into a measure of comfortable wealth sometime before the grave.
While I am overjoyed that your socioeconomic status and/or spiritual enlightenment allows you the luxury of a glib or disdainful attitude for fair compensation... our profession is our business. Do. Not. Be. Naive.
Amen.
By accepting your minimum wage you lower the bar and set a compensation precedent for all other physiotherapist in the department/office which ripples through the city... county...state... region... nation. This would be even worse if you had your own clinic and took that attitude with the third party payers.
Why is there such a large percentage of those within our ranks who want to give away what is a valuable and necessary service to so many?
All I know is that most likely I'll be spending 75k at least for PT education alone. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having someone else finance my undergrad. The bills at Penn State and prereqs add 50k to that figure. So that is at least 125k and probably more that I'll owe when all is said and done. If I don't make enough to pay this back than that is called financial irresponsibility. I didn't get into this to make a million dollars, but I did say that it would all be worth it if I can be the provider and take care of my family. 125k+ is going to take a while to pay off. So one needs to have a prospective view.
Why is there such a large percentage of those within our ranks who want to give away what is a valuable and necessary service to so many?
In my opinion...
The profession attracts compassionate, caring people who are willing or even eager to sacrifice their own interests (time/money/etc) for the good of the patient. There is also is an inexplicable element of self-doubt on the part of the average physiotherapist regarding their expertise and skills. Both traits seem to be subtlety encouraged during PT school. This creates a propensity for Joe/Jane Q. Therapist to fold like a towel on the fair compensation issue. I BELIEVE it's getter better though as the cost/benefit ratio for the profession has declined and demand is increasing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get so sick of hearing about people choosing careers because of salary. So why dont I care about making money? I dont care because money doesnt mean much to me. However, helping patients and athletes means a lot. Being a PT is about helping people get better and helping them attain their functional/athletic goals. Lets face it, as long as youre earning enough to pay the bills and put food on the table, you dont need any more money. Everything beyond the essentials is a luxury. If youre in this profession to make money and bounce from job to job for a bigger paycheck, then GET OUT OF THE PROFESSION!!! Try business.
An annoying and uninformed opinion, imo. The constant self-righteousness by young health profession students and mid level practitioners grows insanely tired after a short while. Its common on rehab professional and nursing practitioner forums.You would rarely hear such an opinion by an MD, if ever.
The audacity to tell someone to get out of a profession because they are not in it for your reasons is incredibly immature. What do you know about the reality of making money in 'business'? Enough to advise someone to switch to it? Get real and stop separating business from medicine/rehab. They are inseparable.
An annoying and uninformed opinion, imo. The constant self-righteousness by young health profession students and mid level practitioners grows insanely tired after a short while. Its common on rehab professional and nursing practitioner forums.You would rarely hear such an opinion by an MD, if ever.
The audacity to tell someone to get out of a profession because they are not in it for your reasons is incredibly immature. What do you know about the reality of making money in 'business'? Enough to advise someone to switch to it? Get real and stop separating business from medicine/rehab. They are inseparable.
A happy person is one who loves their job. If money is the only motivation, it better be a whole lot of money. If you are getting into PT solely for the big cash, you are going into the wrong line of work. If decent money and job satisfaction are combined in the same profession, you will be happy. One without the other doesn't do it.
I think that that is a slightly softer but accurate way to restate what husker said. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K