Are blue book vs green book residencies for lisencing requirements still a thing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sm an IMG, currently in PGY2 year of my psychiatry residency . Upon completion and board certification, will I run into lisencing problems given that some of my medical school rotations fell under the "family medicine umbrella" . I am aiming to practice I'm the Tri-state and DMV areas ideally, but who knows where life will take me . Any information would be appreciated .

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong but I believe as long as you complete a full residency and get board certified, you'll be able to get licensed in any state. The rules are harder for folks who meet the years of training requirements but did not complete a full residency.

Licensing requirements in regards to IMG med school rotations that were done in the US vary on a state by state basis. There is no one single answer to your question. @Rarynis correct that some states, regardless of the requirements for a fresh residency grad applying for their initial full license, will license you as long as you are board certified and have been licensed and practiced in another state, but again this will vary by state.

I haven't looked at this for a few years, but at least previously Texas was one of the most strict states and required basically all rotations to be greenbook. But they did have a work-around that if you were board certified and had been licensed and practiced in another state(for 2 years I think), then they would give you a license regardless of the greenbook status of your med school rotations.

The only real way to figure this out is to look at each individual state's licensing requirements.

Reactions: 1 users