Starting residency in a few days...still bummed about match result

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassyfrog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched to my home program in a competitive specialty. It was low on my list because as a medical student I saw how miserable the residents were and how difficult/hierarchical some of the faculty could be. I was hoping the bitterness would fade with time, and it did to some extent. But now I'm starting residency in a few days and wish I felt the same pride and excitement that my classmates who matched at their top choices feel.

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and if so, what helped to reframe your perspective?

Members don't see this ad.

I matched to my home program in a competitive specialty. It was low on my list because as a medical student I saw how miserable the residents were and how difficult/hierarchical some of the faculty could be. I was hoping the bitterness would fade with time, and it did to some extent. But now I'm starting residency in a few days and wish I felt the same pride and excitement that my classmates who matched at their top choices feel.

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and if so, what helped to reframe your

Starting in a few days, you won’t have any much time to worry about it … the first month or two may go by slowly .. and then in the blink of an eye you’ll be graduating. You’ll start at the head of your class because you know where everything is and how the EMR works. You don’t have to move. You won’t spend all your free time your first month at the DMV changing your address.

Without knowing anything about you, these are the bright spots I can find .. I’m sure there are more 😉

Reactions: 9 users
Don't have much to spin the perspective other than to say: how you handle this disappointment will be a measure of you as a person.

Don't know your back story at all. I've seen plenty of examples of people who encountered failure/disappointment and came to that classic fork in the road: overcome adversity or let the failure/disappointment define them. Some go one way, some go the other. Being the bitter person in your cohort is not gonna do you any favors personally or professionally.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and if so, what helped to reframe your perspective?

I was very disappointed in my Match results. I didn't match into my chosen specialty and scrambled into a spot in a small community program, sight unseen. It was a small hospital in the suburbs, and I was sure that I was going to get a subpar education. I mourned the career that I had expected to have. And yes, I was very jealous of my classmates who got their desired specialty and their top choice program.

At this point in my life, 12 years after graduating from med school, I have zero regrets. I actually had a wonderful experience during residency - my co-residents were kind, thoughtful, and genuinely good people. My attendings were great teachers and I learned a lot, with a wide variety of cases. This specialty has been a good fit for me, much better than the specialty that I thought that I wanted.

There is this tendency to treat Match Day like it's the "first day of the rest of your life!" The thing is - life is not that linear. Match Day, and the decisions that are associated with it, are like any other decision in life - sometimes, for some people, it works out great. For a lot of people, however, it doesn't.

Sure, I know some people from med school who chose well - they're happy in their specialty and they had a good experience in residency. However, I know of many, many others who regretted their specialty choice. They either stuck it out and are pretty unhappy, or they switched. I also know of many others who matched into their top residency choice and found that it was not as wonderful as they thought it was. You have to remember that many people choose their top residency choice based on fairly limited information - what you can glean during a curated day long visit. Sometimes they were fooled by the song-and-dance that was presented to them.

Furthermore, you have to remember, that life is not static and things change. That gruff, difficult attending that everyone dreads rotating with? They might retire the month before you're supposed to go on their service. Or the curriculum could change and you go to another clinical site for that rotation instead. All sorts of things happen. My husband got involved in a research project at his future residency hospital when he was a med student/prelim intern. He was excited to continue with that project when he started his categorical position there....only to find that his mentor had left for another job a month before he started.

So go in with an open mind. Going to your top choice residency wouldn't have guaranteed you a happy life, going to your lower-choice residency doesn't doom you to being unhappy.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users

I posted about my match experience a few years back. You can probably find it in my history but it is fairly detailed.

Had some red flags.

Interviewed at a bunch of places (around 27 or 28).

Matched at number #25 I think. Nearly dead last.

One or two programs on my list didn't even rank me as they ended up in the SOAP/scramble. That stung a lot.

I was very down about my situation. I was looking into transferring etc. I think some attendings noticed as well. I decided to stick it out. Worked hard. Did well. Ultimately residency is a very brief time in your life. I poured my energy into being good at my job and mastering my craft. I eventually matched into a good fellowship.

Love the one you're with. No point in making yourself miserable thinking about other programs.

I'm now 5 years post fellowship. I'm double board certified (OBGYN and urogynecology) and reasonably competent at my job.

Overall, I am happy professionally and personally.

You will get past this and do fine.

Reactions: 10 users

What kind of people would you hope to meet as co-residents? Be that person. If you expect to meet folks who are in it together with you and want to get to know you, that is how you will see them.
If you expect them to be sullen and disillusioned and wanting to be anywhere but here, that is how you will see them.
Set your goals for what you want to learn and how you want to learn it, it will make a difference.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
If you matched somewhere that was way down your list, then obviously your application (or interview skills/process) were lacking somewhat.

Options are either to rank spots that you don’t like, or don’t match at all, SOAP into a spot or sit out (possibly) a year by when your chances at a match will have decreased significantly.

Count your blessings

Reactions: 1 users
I matched to my home program in a competitive specialty.
IMO you should really change your thought process surrounding the whole situation. As nice as those other programs may have seemed, your home program is the one that ranked you high enough to match and they did you a solid, so you should enter with a really positive attitude towards them and work on making it the best possible experience you can. There are a lot of other applicants who didn't match into competitive specialties

Reactions: 8 users
I applied to like 60 places and got 5 interviews. I ranked 4 of them, (one was really bad). I ended in a community program. I’ve been out for 7 years and am really happy with my life.

Residency is really a short period of time. It sucks, but most of the suckage isn’t as bad looking back. One step at a time, it will fly by.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
IMO you should really change your thought process surrounding the whole situation. As nice as those other programs may have seemed, your home program is the one that ranked you high enough to match and they did you a solid, so you should enter with a really positive attitude towards them and work on making it the best possible experience you can. There are a lot of other applicants who didn't match into competitive specialties
This.

It was the other places you interviewed at who did you wrong. The program you're at is the one that liked you and wanted you. And all those other places have their own dirty laundry. The only difference is, at your home program, you got to see its flaws.

You're going to have a leg up and it will be over soon. None of your classmates need to know how far you fell down your list. So far as everyone knows you matched at a program you liked affiliated with a medical school.

And ultimately your home program knows you, saw your work, and wanted you. Its hard but ultimately you are so much better off in life focusing your time and energy on people who like you back, instead of people who you wish like you - but don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
your feelings are valid, it can be disheartening to not get the result you want. Back when I was in the match, i ranked 10 programs and matched my third. Was pretty surprised first two didnt take me given that both interviewed me early on and expressed interest. Made me doubt myself. Ironically, my number 1 at the time ended up having major hospital issues, and my number 2 at the time im not so sure I really would have been a good fit.

Point is, believe it or not, often times things do kinda happen for a reason or work themselves out with the right attitude. Also residency programs always put on a show for how happy they are, so you never know how happy you would have been at the other programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Life/things always work out.
There is nothing you can do about the past other than learn from it.
Live in the past, you will die from the past.
You either choose to be happy or unhappy about your situation, best to find your happiness place.

I matriculated into my last ranked Med school. I could have been sad but actually super happy, otherwise another year wasted with unknowns. Matched into my top residency choice, never looked back with more clinical/admin/partner/business owner experience than I could have imagined.

Sometimes you just have to imagine it like being in prison. It sucks, and you still have to perform well to get parole, but things will get better. Martin Shkreli spent 5 years in prison and is still in a better place now than most Americans

Sometimes you just have to imagine it like being in prison. It sucks, and you still have to perform well to get parole, but things will get better. Martin Shkreli spent 5 years in prison and is still in a better place now than most Americans

Not sure what to make of that. Hoping you're not comparing going to prison for taking advantage of sick people as similar to going into residency training.

Busy. Too busy to care about my match results anymore.

Well, I can say that I've not yet met a student starting residency who had the same excitement before they started. Yes, congrats on matching and your career choice, but you're going to be too busy. Also, how many people who matched at their residency weren't blindsided by false promises and fake smiles? Just keep moving on. You're the specialty you want and that's the important part.

Reactions: 1 user
My old medical school roommate matched at his last ranked ortho program. A no name program in a second rate city for someone who thought they were the best of the best. He wasn’t going to rank it at all but we convinced him, about an hour before the deadline, to add it. Now he’s in private practice, after 2nd rate fellowship, and making 7 figures, living in a lovely mansion. You don’t need to go to Mass General to achieve your dreams.
Focus on the endpoint, keep your head down, do your job and learn the trade.

Reactions: 7 users
Well, I can say that I've not yet met a student starting residency who had the same excitement before they started.
Best day of med school is the day you get accepted.

Best day of residency is the day you matched.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users