Are COSGP 'Touch Points' Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

37Base

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO brethren-

Today we received an email from our student government discussing the option for accumulating annual 'TOUCH points' for community service. Apparently if you obtain enough points, you get some sort of recognition on your dean's letter? That's about all I know, the email wasn't too clear on the specifics.

Anyways, can anyone comment on whether or not this is worth pursuing? If so, is this something that is needed to be done every year or just once prior to residency?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are diligent enough to always report them such that you get one of those silver or whatever honors, its something you can put on your ERAS. Realistically though, I found the process a pain, didn't report them, and just included anything substantial that I did on ERAS as a volunteer experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
50 hours = Silver
100 hours = Gold
Top student at each school receives Platinum (one per school)

If you are at VCOM, your accomplishment each year (Silver, Gold or Platinum) goes on your letter. The year runs April through March so you can earn Silver/Gold/Platinum each year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not at all.

Reactions: 4 users
As someone who helps with interviews for an IM residency (and also interview for fellowships too) - I have no idea what Touch Point is, and if it was included in your MSPE - I wouldn't notice.

If you're going to volunteer because that's what you like to do, you want to help other people out, advance causes, etc - more power to you.

Don't care when it comes to residency/fellowship - I want to know if you have a solid knowledge foundation, can work/play well with others, and won't need too much hand-holding during residency/fellowship, and won't try to kill my patients (whether intentionally or unintentionally) ... and also not have a personality disorder.

Reactions: 8 users
i do not know.

Last edited:
COSGP is a useless club run by the future AOA loyalists. TOUCH points are completely pointless, and I wouldn't waste my time validating this spineless organization.

Tell us how you really feel.

But seriously, volunteer your time to a cause you're passionate about. No amount of external validation will cure burnout. And really, you're too young to burn out.

50 hours = Silver
100 hours = Gold
Top student at each school receives Platinum (one per school)

If you are at VCOM, your accomplishment each year (Silver, Gold or Platinum) goes on your letter. The year runs April through March so you can earn Silver/Gold/Platinum each year.

I asked some second years whether it was worth it, they both started laughing.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked some second years whether it was worth it, they both started laughing.

Laughing about what? I'm providing factual information regarding the program. I don't know if it's worth it because I am not a program director.

Unless there is a program director specifically commenting about his/her residency regarding the TOUCH program, the opinions from medical student SDN members are just that: opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

People at my school take TOUCH hours very seriously. When I mentioned to someone that I didn't report any volunteering hours last year, they looked at me with a mixture of shock and pity. Lol.

But really I think this is just another one of those things people get worked up about for no reason, because med school is full of type A folks who want to be the best in every category. My personal philosophy is, do what you're passionate about. If that's volunteering, great. If not, don't sweat it...

Reactions: 2 users
Try to find a good volunteer session that you enjoy and do that. I think I'll get maybe 40 hours in from one club alone. I might just do some other random work during the breaks to get to 50h...Might as well lol
But honestly, doubt the PD will give a crap about the actual "silver award" thing.

Unless there is a program director specifically commenting about his/her residency regarding the TOUCH program, the opinions from medical student SDN members are just that: opinions.
No PD can give any comment about Touch Point b/c they don't even know what it is. Hell, lots of them don't even know that SSP is the AOA version of MD and SSP is arguably a more important factor compare to Touch Point when they appear on MSPE. If PDs don't know something on the application = most likely they don't care, as group_theory stated. If they don't care, it's a non-factor b/c it doesn't break or make an application.
People at my school take TOUCH hours very seriously. When I mentioned to someone that I didn't report any volunteering hours last year, they looked at me with a mixture of shock and pity. Lol.
Omg same here, ppl are literally racing for that platinum. Smh.

According to the 2014 NRMP PD survey, volunteer and extracurricular experiences rank 23rd as a factor for being offered an interview and 27th as a factor in ranking. And that's if they even know what TOUCH hours mean. Volunteer for yourself, not because you think it will get you ahead securing a residency.

Reactions: 3 users
No PD can give any comment about Touch Point b/c they don't even know what it is. Hell, lots of them don't even know that SSP is the AOA version of MD and SSP is arguably a more important factor compare to Touch Point when they appear on MSPE. If PDs don't know something on the application = most likely they don't care, as group_theory stated. If they don't care, it's a non-factor b/c it doesn't break or make an application.

Omg same here, ppl are literally racing for that platinum. Smh.
SSP requires like a 3.2 GPA. It's a complete scam to steal $100 or whatever they charge.