are dentist jobs getting saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDS99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if this is a stupid question. But I am having this doubt from many days.

4 r 5 yrs down the lane,do u guys think that dentist jobs r going to b saturated n pay becomes lesser? i heard that these jobs in california are already saturated. i really am not sure whether this information is genuine r not.

is it worth studying harder for boards, getting admission,appearing for the license exam n getting job? at the same time we can also do some MS( may b public health) n get a simple job if the pay doesnt have much difference.

I am not able to decide. plz help

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first of all you need to know if you are really like to become a dentist or not. Not only be a dentist, you can get a good salary. If you really like this profession you definetly will go for it, doesn't matter how hard it is. If you only based on getting a good salary, I believe you can't be a good dentist because your main goal isn't become a dentist but getting higher pay.

hi,
the question is still unanswered.." IS EVERY PLACE GETTING SATURATED WITH DENTISTS? "...can anyone address this question??

thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
yes preetha,

the question is still unanswered

the answer to this question is
america is growing very fastly every one min there is a new baby and every two min one emigrant enter the united states all the dentists reading this will not be enough to treat these people ,for california it is different 40,000 from the total of 140,000 dentist all around usa work in califonia i live in califonia every corner there is a dentist and gas station .

this is just my opinion,i do not hav any statistics......its not just calif, even place like NYork and boston has dentist around every corner, well thts wt i noticed when i went there for interviews.....

not only in CA. in my town, dental offices are way more than gas station. On one street, there are almost 50 dental clinic offices...the funny is when I ride bus through this street, at each bus stop, when you look out of the window, you will find at least 3 dental offices. But I could only find 2 or 3 gas stations along the street:). The 2nd most offices are law firm....
I am living in this area, there are also 3 dental clinics just cross the street from my apt building.... I always wonder how they can survive?

the answer to this question is
america is growing very fastly every one min there is a new baby and every two min one emigrant enter the united states all the dentists reading this will not be enough to treat these people ,for california it is different 40,000 from the total of 140,000 dentist all around usa work in califonia i live in califonia every corner there is a dentist and gas station .

I think there is a trend of dental hygienists snatching more business from dentists. Currently that trend is inhibited by regulations which require hygienists to work under supervision of dentists. But considering the fact that the dental costs are too high already, costs will be brought down by this trend.

Here are some excerpts:

Employment of dental hygienists is expected to grow much faster than average for through 2014, ranking among the fastest growing occupations.

Employment of dentists is projected to grow about as fast as average for through 2014.

Dentists held about 150,000 jobs in 2004. Median annual earnings of salaried dentists were $129,920 in May 2004. Self-employed dentists in private practice tend to earn more than do salaried dentists, and a relatively large proportion of dentists is self-employed.

Dental hygienists held about 158,000 jobs in 2004. Median hourly earnings of dental hygienists were $28.05 in May 2004.

Hi all! i'm currently in the US and am thinking of taking the part1 and 2 while i'm here. this was suggested to me by some of my friends who heard that there are rumors that the clinical exams will be open for foreign trained dentists next year. Have any of you heard about this? the reason i'm asking is because i'm thinking if the exams are worth taking because i might just end up as a dental assistant if they dont open. one of my friends said that it's impossible that they won't open their doors to foreign trained dentists coz for every 7 dentists that retire in the US, only 2 dentists replace them. i believe there is a genuine lack of dentists in the US, however, there are places that are congested (like California).

not only in CA. in my town, dental offices are way more than gas station. On one street, there are almost 50 dental clinic offices...the funny is when I ride bus through this street, at each bus stop, when you look out of the window, you will find at least 3 dental offices. But I could only find 2 or 3 gas stations along the street:). The 2nd most offices are law firm....
I am living in this area, there are also 3 dental clinics just cross the street from my apt building.... I always wonder how they can survive?

well dentalcn i think in your city there will be a wounderful oppurtunities to gas stations since they rank three after dentists and lawers ....:laugh:
thank you for your information