Are fellowships necessary these days?

Started by shocker
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shocker

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it necessary to do a fellowship to gain partnership track with a good private practice or will the 5 years suffice.

In u-grad I worked for a group and they had 27-28 partners with 25-26 of them having fellowships, the oldest two docs didn't have them but they were there in the 60's. So, I just assumed that you have to have a fellowship, am I just naive?

Thanks in advance
 
Is it necessary to do a fellowship to gain partnership track with a good private practice or will the 5 years suffice.

In u-grad I worked for a group and they had 27-28 partners with 25-26 of them having fellowships, the oldest two docs didn't have them but they were there in the 60's. So, I just assumed that you have to have a fellowship, am I just naive?

Thanks in advance

Big groups or groups in competitive markets want you to be fellowship trained in SOMETHING/ANYTHING, but still expect you to read EVERYTHING. In less desirable underserved areas, they would love to have ANY radiologist fellowship or not.

Currently, most groups are in need of 'Body' radiologists (preferably fellowship trained in SOMETHING) who can read EVERYTHING. Even more desirable is are subspecialtists with MRI expertise (MSK) or interventional skills.