Are floaters paid for travelling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustinfromCA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scenario: Floater pharmacist drives 4 hours to work at a place in the middle of nowhere for the weekend so he can work there on Saturday and Sunday. He drives Saturday morning and leaves Sunday night. Both shifts are 8 hour shifts.

Is the floater paid for the 8 hour total driving time? Is it pharmacist wage hours and is it considered overtime?

I'm mainly asking for Walgreens and CVS.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it varies by corporation and by state, but where I work, anyone (even techs) who does any traveling to work at a store that is not their "home store" is reimbursed for mileage (recently raised to $0.50/mile). Depending on the length of the trip, they can also be paid for their time. Earlier this year, during flu season, a couple techs from my store ended up filling in at one an hour away... not only did they get paid for 2 hours of drive time, they also got $60 in mileage. My understanding (though it needs clarification) is that all time is to be charged off to the pharmacy in need of help, and all expenses including any overtime, are to be paid by them.

I know a pharmacist that used to be a floater for Kroger and he got paid for both mileage and driving time.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 hours one way? I know a few pharmacists that get compensated really well, but I don't know exactly how much though. I guess it all depends on how much they need you and how willing they are to pay for that.

At Target, floaters do get paid for their travel time from their home store. I know of someone who drove 6 hrs each way to help out at a store and he was compensated for the 12 hrs drive!

At Target, floaters do get paid for their travel time from their home store. I know of someone who drove 6 hrs each way to help out at a store and he was compensated for the 12 hrs drive!

6 hours each way? thats like 300 miles...

when i floated for riteaid i got .35 cents a mile (minus 10 miles each direction) plus $50 dollars a day for food. i also got put up in hotels if the store was more than 1hr drive from my home.