Are interviewers purposely assigned to interviewees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiramisucheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or is it random placement?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm this is interesting. I've always wondered this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Or is it random placement?
At my school, interviewers are given their dates of interview at the start of each semester. We thus are NOT matched to any interviewees. Clinical faculty often are booked for other stuff months in advance, also getting them into a time slot is sometimes tricky.

My research was in radiology and I was a computer science major in undergrad. I do not think it was a coincidence that at one school I interviewed with a mechanical engineer and radiologist, and at another school I interviewed with an interventional radiologist ( my essays mentioned my interest in IR also ).

Is it a coincidence that my interviewer, one of many interviewers, happened to be an ophthalmologist—when I've had two years of experience working in ophthalmology? Hmm... It could be, but I don't know, that seems a little personalized to me.

I had a friend interview at this location as well, and she worked in a specific specialty; she was also matched to a physician in that same specialty.

This makes me feel like, at least at this particular medical school, the interviewers may be a little personalized.

Reactions: 1 users
So it seems like, as with all things related to the medical school application cycle, it really just depends on the school. Thanks for the input everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on the school. Each school does things a little differently. You'll know that you were matched up if everybody interviewing from your school got the same interviewer who is an alum.

On the Pitt secondary they specifically asked areas of your interest so they can match you up with an interviewer.