About the Ads

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Are interviewers purposely assigned to interviewees? Or is it random placement?
Sometimes it a is purposeful choice, with a common area of interest in language skills, research, career goals, or community service.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Sometimes it a is purposeful choice, with a common area of interest in language skills, research, career goals, or community service.
Sometimes is it utterly blind and luck of the draw.
Some interviewers may have your whole file and know everything about you
Some interviewers are purposely left completely blind and know absolutely nothing about you

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Or is it random placement?
At my school, interviewers are given their dates of interview at the start of each semester. We thus are NOT matched to any interviewees. Clinical faculty often are booked for other stuff months in advance, also getting them into a time slot is sometimes tricky.

Reactions: tiramisucheese

motu

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
My research was in radiology and I was a computer science major in undergrad. I do not think it was a coincidence that at one school I interviewed with a mechanical engineer and radiologist, and at another school I interviewed with an interventional radiologist ( my essays mentioned my interest in IR also ).

Reactions: tiramisucheese

begoood95

The Friendly Gunner™
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2016
Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it a coincidence that my interviewer, one of many interviewers, happened to be an ophthalmologist—when I've had two years of experience working in ophthalmology? Hmm... It could be, but I don't know, that seems a little personalized to me.

I had a friend interview at this location as well, and she worked in a specific specialty; she was also matched to a physician in that same specialty.

This makes me feel like, at least at this particular medical school, the interviewers may be a little personalized.

OP
tiramisucheese

tiramisucheese

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
So it seems like, as with all things related to the medical school application cycle, it really just depends on the school. Thanks for the input everyone!

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It depends on the school. Each school does things a little differently. You'll know that you were matched up if everybody interviewing from your school got the same interviewer who is an alum.

biochemgirl22

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
On the Pitt secondary they specifically asked areas of your interest so they can match you up with an interviewer.

OP
tiramisucheese

tiramisucheese

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
On the Pitt secondary they specifically asked areas of your interest so they can match you up with an interviewer.
Oh yeah, I do remember that. Didn't quite make it through the blood bath though ;)

About the Ads