Are medical schools also on this absurd PC train?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteopathyBlues

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know political discussions are usually not encouraged on this forum. I understand why, and it is not my intention to start a flamewar. However... I recently got done with an interview at a school I will not name and my interviewer was acting plain unprofessional regarding my home state of Idaho (one of the overwhelmingly red states outside of the south) during the interview. At one point the professor made a random comment about making a bet, but "the last time he bet was on the election, and he lost money on that one!" When I got up to leave he said, "Tell all my friends in Idaho I said hi, there wont be many". I almost want to call the school and tell them. If I were black and from Washington and a professor said that to me I may likely have grounds to get them fired - especially in today's climate. Are medical school professors really catering to this bull going on at most American universities with its grievance and victimhood cultures? I feel like that is the absolute last thing we need to be teaching our student doctors - imagine your doctor telling you that you are fine just the way you are when you are 45 pounds overweight. God save America and its terribly unhealthy populace if doctors fear facing lawsuits for telling their patients that their lifestyle may lead to their early death. Someone tell me it ain't so.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What a douche. The med school interview is not an opportunity for the interviewer to propagate their agenda. It is an investment by the school to find out who to take into med school--not some think tank hub or some far left or far right blog.

What's the point for him to even do that? Is he trying to ascribe blame to you as an individual for what the entire state of Idaho collectively voted for? That's dumb because he hasn't seen your ballot, you're not there to discuss politics, and some random resident of Idaho didn't sway the entire state vote. Douchery level 100.

Also get used to the whole attitude of victimization in med school. An example I encountered was that "White Coats for Black Lives" wasn't created in the 1970s to draw attention to improving the treatment of conditions in the black population that have a higher prevalence (e.g., diabetes, sickle cell), but is around today to deal with contentious race issues because cops are bad. Be careful what battles you pick and realize you're at school to learn to become a competent physician.

Reactions: 2 users
It doesn't sound like he was insulting you personally or making assumptions about your politics. Do you need a safe space for your hurt feelings because he made a self-deprecating comment about his politics? The way Idaho has been treating physicians regarding reimbursement, the comment could have been referencing something other than national politics. Still, feel free to report it but maybe wait until the decision has been made.

Reactions: 14 users
If you have a problem with your interviewer's professionalism, just report him. That being said, I have literally no idea how your story has anything to do with PC victimhood culture or any of the dramatic concerns you have in the 2nd half of your comment.

The bet comment was obviously his attempt at being funny...you can say its unprofessional to have any mention of politics, but, honestly, he didn't even explicitly state his beliefs and he wasn't putting down Trumps supporters. it sounds like you are being too sensitive.

I'm not even sure what the guy meant by the second comment- you'd know better since you were there, so I won't comment on that.
Interviewer: sure let's make a joke where I ostracize this rando student from Idaho where nearly 60% of people voted for Trump and only 30% for HC. I don't even know what his politics are, but this oughta knock the chap's socks right off and get the interview off to a great start!

Gimme a break. Would you say the same if OP was a black student from Washington who interviewed in Idaho with an interviewer that bashed Washington for voting democrat? I would. But using your rationale, you can't say that the interviewer is incorrect were this to happen.

There's a reason why politics and religion should not be mentioned in these sorts of interviews. It isn't professional. It isn't condusive towards putting together a better incoming class.

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited:
this thread is gonna be good :corny:

Reactions: 1 user
What a douche. The med school interview is not an opportunity for the interviewer to propagate their agenda. It is an investment by the school to find out who to take into med school--not some think tank hub or some far left or far right blog.

What's the point for him to even do that? Is he trying to ascribe blame to you as an individual for what the entire state of Idaho collectively voted for? That's dumb because he hasn't seen your ballot, you're not there to discuss politics, and some random resident of Idaho didn't sway the entire state vote. Douchery level 100.

Also get used to the whole attitude of victimization in med school. An example I encountered was that "White Coats for Black Lives" wasn't created in the 1970s to draw attention to improving the treatment of conditions in the black population that have a higher prevalence (e.g., diabetes, sickle cell), but is around today to deal with contentious race issues because cops are bad. Be careful what battles you pick and realize you're at school to learn to become a competent physician.

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate your honesty. I had hoped this childishness would have ended in my undergraduate - guess its time for real me to go back in the closet, once again.

[ ] Racist
[ ] Homophobe
[ ] Islamophobe
[X] Identifies closest with Conservatives
[X] Nobody SHOULD care

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn't sound like he was insulting you personally or making assumptions about your politics. Do you need a safe space for your hurt feelings because he made a self-deprecating comment about his politics? The way Idaho has been treating physicians regarding reimbursement, the comment could have been referencing something other than national politics. Still, feel free to report it but maybe wait until the decision has been made.
Gee great advice. I am not making this thread because I am triggered and need a safe space. I am making this thread because this individual holds an aspect of my future in his hands, and as far as I am concerned he could very well have it out for me based solely on a presumption. This is legitimate discrimination (off a presumption no less!), and not something to be taken lightly. I'd take the old lady on the subway grabbing her purse when I sit next to her any day of the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'm a gay guy with moderate politcal views and one of my best friends is a conservative gay guy. we both come from very conservative, anti-gay backgrounds. We are both out to our families and we have no problem voicing our opinions when they are conservative to our classmates

Don't blame other people if you are too much of a coward to stand by your beliefs lol
You can't bash OP with this argument. Read his thread where he says he's concerned over the fact that this isn't some random classmate that he's discussing politics with over after anatomy. It is an interviewer! Translation = someone that holds a lot of sway as to whether OP may get into this med school.

I'd argue that someone who isn't willing to harbor tolerance in an interview setting is flat out inept. Interjecting political beliefs in this setting does nothing for the interview's main purpose. It can only side-rail everything. And not looking to argue about politics is what adults do. It's more maturity than cowardice. I realize some people/classmates think differently. Doesn't mean I seek out confrontation to prove I'm not some coward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools are on the PC trains. Pay close attentions to words you use especially if you have a student interviewer.
Avoid non-PC vocabulary

Regarding the PC culture, I would say that medical school is the only place outside of the internet where it pops up as a central theme. Granted, I go to a particularly liberal medical school, but the political bias is palpable and conservative views are very taboo. If you have a problem with this type of culture, you're probably going to have to learn to not rock the boat. You are not in a position of power in medical school, and your opinions won't be appreciated by the student body or the administration. You'll notice the moment you step out of the ivory halls of academia that the medical profession is considerably more diverse (and not by the metrics that medical schools believe encompasses the term), but if your future medical school is anything like mine you're going to need to ride it out for now.

I'm a very liberal person. I've been volunteering in soup kitchens and homeless shelters and organizing environmental projects since before I even knew it would look good on a med school application. However, I'm also a very logical person, and I can't stand the one-sidedness of the controversial issues that are pushed on us. It's a blatant attempt to influence the thoughts of future generations of medical students before the opposition can say their piece.

Just as an example of the political bias you will encounter in med school, these are all things that have happened this year

1) Mandatory sessions discussing the election, ballot questions, and local candidates prior to the vote that was a thinly veiled attempt at pitching the liberal agenda.

2) Public health class material that openly pushes for a single-payer system while glossing over the drawbacks and thoroughly trashing fee-for-service. We were also told matter-of-factly that capitation payments are the ideal system (which isn't even necessarily good for physicians or patients).

3) Administration-wide distress over the election and unveiled opinions from professors about those who voted for Trump.

Now, I agree with most if not all of the views expressed by my school, but these things have no place in a medical school. I don't appreciate having my opinions hand fed to me. Most medical schools I've been exposed to do exactly that. I imagine things are a bit different down South, but I can't claim to know.
To all people bashing OP or me for saying this interviewer is out of line, this comment is exactly what is wrong with med schools and interviewers that don't realize med school is a place for students to become physicians--not an arena to develop ideological political pundits of the far left or the far right.

Reactions: 1 users
THISGONBGUD.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I will agree that any discussion of politics (by either the interviewer or the interviewee) is in poor taste, and will generally serve to place the other person into an extremely awkward situation.

However, I agree that it was like a joke from a slightly awkward professor who is trying to be seen as anything besides the stonefaced person across from the table to an interviewee. I think OP is excessively angry about a perceived slight.

I will agree that the post from ChordaEpiphany is completely unacceptable, IMO, and that's as somebody who was leaning away from Trump this past election. While I can talk with my friends about politics, it should not be the school's agenda to push it's students to vote one way or the other.

To all people bashing OP or me for saying this interviewer is out of line, this comment is exactly what is wrong with med schools and interviewers that don't realize med school is a place for students to become physicians--not an arena to develop ideological political pundits of the far left or the far right.
Don't go down with the burning ship Nacho. It ain't worth it. I've got the info I've needed. Osteopathic forum wouldn't even entertain the thought btw, one of the regulars just labeled me a troll and that was that.

upload_2016-12-14_19-54-45.png

Can someone explain to me how the scenario described relates to being political/PC?

Reactions: 12 users
Nothing OP has said indicates that the interviewer had some kind of political agenda. my mom, who voted for Trump, was shocked that he made it as far as he did. she could've made the same statement as the interviewer. if the interviewer said, "Oh, I'm glad you're not Trump supporter like most of those idiots in Idaho" or something like that, that would be innappropriate. you could replace the word election with "world series" and it would mean the same exact thing, which tells you that his comment wasn't a political discussion

When overly PC people complain because they misinterpret something, I call them out. Im doing the same thing here. From OP's quotes, the interviewer did not appear to have any anti-conservative vendetta against OP. but if he really feels hurt, he can contact the admins, tell them these quotes, and let them interpret them
Dude, go read OP's post. The interviewer tells a student from the state of Idaho: 1) the voting results from Idaho were directly against his bets and wishes, 2) he doesn't have many friends in Idaho specifically due to reflection of the poll results. You're telling me that the interviewer's jokes couldn't have casted a drift in between him and the interviewee? Politics are not to be discussed in an interview. Never. It's disrespectful to the applicant who's stressed out and already forked out resrouces and time to attend the interview.

I didn't vote for Trump. That doesn't have any bearnance to this discussion or how improbable the election results were. An interviewer in the South would have been just as wrong for making comments to an interviewee from the east or west coast in either '08 or '12.

View attachment 211959

Can someone explain to me how the scenario described relates to being political/PC?
As someone from a horrific Red State, I don't see how it is that PC or political. Interviewers don't assume you vote as your state. Now if you overreact, you show your politics and make it political.

Reactions: 3 users
View attachment 211959

To be brief.
At the worst: Colleges are now echo chambers for liberal agendas, and dangerous killzones for conservatives, which propagate a new culture of victimhood and whiny cry baby "adults".
OR
At the best: I, and a large group of people, are paranoid crackpot misanthropes.

I guess its only a matter of time until the latter becomes the "reality".

As someone from a horrific Red State, I don't see how it is that PC or political. Interviewers don't assume you vote as your state. Now if you overreact, you show your politics and make it political.
False. By your claim, if I ever interview someone in the future who is of German descent and say, "boy, sure good thing those Nazis lost WWII", then I can presume that the interviewee has Nazi-like sentiments if he doesn't like my 'joke'

The problem is that the preface of those comments is wrong to begin with when considering the context--a professional interview.

Nothing OP has said indicates that the interviewer had some kind of political agenda. my mom, who voted for Trump, was shocked that he made it as far as he did. she could've made the same statement as the interviewer. if the interviewer said, "Oh, I'm glad you're not Trump supporter like most of those idiots in Idaho" or something like that, that would be innappropriate. you could replace the word election with "world series" and it would mean the same exact thing, which tells you that his comment wasn't a political discussion

When overly PC people complain because they misinterpret something, I call them out. Im doing the same thing here. From OP's quotes, the interviewer did not appear to have any anti-conservative vendetta against OP. but if he really feels hurt, he can contact the admins, tell them these quotes, and let them interpret them

I despise victimization, and I despise PC culture. If it hadn't happened at another university earlier this cycle I would dismiss it. The way he said it was absolutely snide and derogatory. You sir, need to learn to read between the lines - unless you live by the saying "ignorance is bliss". Did you catch my drift there?

I suppose that is why I didn't overreact and do as such, it surely would have been a death sentence. Let me guess, you clearly aren't biased against people from your state either, having just called it a "horrific red state". Listen to yourself, you sound like the people you supposedly hate.

Last edited:
I know political discussions are usually not encouraged on this forum. I understand why, and it is not my intention to start a flamewar. However... I recently got done with an interview at a school I will not name and my interviewer was acting plain unprofessional regarding my home state of Idaho (one of the overwhelmingly red states outside of the south) during the interview. At one point the professor made a random comment about making a bet, but "the last time he bet was on the election, and he lost money on that one!" When I got up to leave he said, "Tell all my friends in Idaho I said hi, there wont be many". I almost want to call the school and tell them. If I were black and from Washington and a professor said that to me I may likely have grounds to get them fired - especially in today's climate. Are medical school professors really catering to this bull going on at most American universities with its grievance and victimhood cultures? I feel like that is the absolute last thing we need to be teaching our student doctors - imagine your doctor telling you that you are fine just the way you are when you are 45 pounds overweight. God save America and its terribly unhealthy populace if doctors fear facing lawsuits for telling their patients that their lifestyle may lead to their early death. Someone tell me it ain't so.

I obviously can't speak specifically to your situation, but I can tell you right now that your classmates and a large portion of your faculty will be extremely liberal wherever you go. I go to medical school in one of the most conservative states in the country and a rather large proportion of my classmates are super extreme progressives. (Probably 2-3 liberal extremists for every 1 conservative extremist) The professors tend to be pretty liberal as well, but most of them keep it lower key and aren't as in your face about it. My fellow students on the other hand...

Always keep it neutral when talking to classmates and professors you don't know closely. If someone above you makes a nasty political joke or comment in either direction, just smile and nod. This is not the time for a debate or philosophical discussion, especially when these people control your education.

I agree. Nothing about OP's situation seemed even remotely political. However, I think OP's real concerns are hidden in the background.

When I read this thread, I interpreted it as, "I identify as conservative and I worry about the environment I'm going into. I don't feel that my views or opinions are welcome in the place I'm thinking of spending the next 4 years of my life, and I want opinions or at least a place to rant about it." I don't think it's the interview that's bugging OP.

This seems like a natural reaction. It's the reaction many minorities have to non-liberal environments like the deep south. It's the reaction many white people have upon diving into a highly PC environment (where it's not uncommon to subtly, or not subtly, villainize white people). It's the reaction anyone has when they enter any environment where they feel people would prefer them to be something different.

I just wanted to give OP an honest idea of what it is like in at least one medical school in the US.
Make no mistake, this is very clearly about two problems. I will be going to medical school, whether its liberal or not, I have been accepted. I just want to know if I will be alienated for my views, or even more tragically penalized by my professors for it. Second, this person holds my ability to go to this school in the palm of his hand. If he has it out for me based on where I come from, that is very bad for me. So, it definitely is about the interview as well.

Last edited:
I will agree that any discussion of politics (by either the interviewer or the interviewee) is in poor taste, and will generally serve to place the other person into an extremely awkward situation.

However, I agree that it was like a joke from a slightly awkward professor who is trying to be seen as anything besides the stonefaced person across from the table to an interviewee. I think OP is excessively angry about a perceived slight.

I will agree that the post from ChordaEpiphany is completely unacceptable, IMO, and that's as somebody who was leaning away from Trump this past election. While I can talk with my friends about politics, it should not be the school's agenda to push it's students to vote one way or the other.
Many undergraduate universities are doing just this, and conservative viewpoints are being removed, often to the extreme detriment of the speaker.

OP, if this is your concern, it is a valid one and I hope you find a school environment you jive well with.

I, however, encourage you not to read into things or you will find problems where there are none. best of luck with the rest of your cycle!
I appreciate your sudden change of heart. Hopefully I can find some vermin infested gutter to accept me and my vile ways. I'm worried more about this nation, having learned what I learned in the last couple hours, than my application cycle.

The first comment was in bad taste, but I don't think it was politically inappropriate or crossed a line to say he thought Hillary would win. The second comment was out of line and brought up politics as well as some pretty stupid assumptions unnecessarily. I personally wouldn't say anything, even though your interviewer sounds like a complete jacka**. If you really think it was that big of a deal or had an actual effect on your interview go ahead and report it. Depending on the political views of the admins they might not care though.

Just as an example of the political bias you will encounter in med school, these are all things that have happened this year

1) Mandatory sessions discussing the election, ballot questions, and local candidates prior to the vote that was a thinly veiled attempt at pitching the liberal agenda.

2) Public health class material that openly pushes for a single-payer system while glossing over the drawbacks and thoroughly trashing fee-for-service. We were also told matter-of-factly that capitation payments are the ideal system (which isn't even necessarily good for physicians or patients).

3) Administration-wide distress over the election and unveiled opinions from professors about those who voted for Trump.

Wow, that might be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from a medical school, and I'd be embarrassed if my institution was openly attempting to push a political agenda like this on its students.

We're talking about med school PC culture. That means that if you come from a rural area and grew up middle class or lower, you automatically get (+) on your application. Now, I'm not sure what type of school this is, where it ranks, or how many people they typically see from Idaho, but I know my school would bend over backwards for anyone who could paint themselves as a poor or even middle class farm boy (or hell, someone who comes from a rural community) as long as he didn't come in screaming about abortion and building a wall.

I think you're at a much bigger risk of discrimination if you don't have a good "story." For instance, if you're an upper middle class white boy/girl from the California suburbs who went to a random school, majored in bio, and did nothing outside of obligatory hospital volunteering, they're more likely to bring out the PC language and find an excuse not to admit you. Being from a red state has nothing to do with it. Where you come from socioeconomically might.

That line of logic is still morally wrong, but that is not what this thread is about. It is one thing to say "we are going to save a few select seats for disadvantaged folks" its another entirely to say none of our seats are open to X of the population.

I suppose that is why I didn't overreact and do as such, it surely would have been a death sentence. Let me guess, you clearly aren't biased against people from your state either, having just called it a "horrific red state". Listen to yourself, you sound like the people you supposedly hate.
Oh I think the majority of voters in my state are idiots, and I am so happy my interviewers didn't associate me with their backwoods, unhealthy politics. But I was accepted to schools all over the country, so it obviously didn't matter. I don't hate the people in my state. I pity them. I also moved to another horrible red state for med school so I continue to deal with mouth breathers and knuckle draggers. I am just saying that my state politics were not mentioned outside of my own state school interview when they asked if I had any reservations about attending my state school.

What? I do. Its pathetic, its time to put on the big boy pants. If you have a problem you can't resolve yourself then see a shrink, get some meds, or if it REALLY is something you cannot fix then the least you can do is not make ME feel like crap too! Nobody likes dealing with unsolvable problems, there is no reason to make your problem everybody's problem - we already have our own.

Did you really just compare being a conservative to being black?

Maybe your interviewer was onto something about Idaho....

Reactions: 8 users
What? I do. Its pathetic, its time to put on the big boy pants. If you have a problem you can't resolve yourself then see a shrink, get some meds, or if it REALLY is something you cannot fix then the least you can do is not make ME feel like crap too! Nobody likes dealing with unsolvable problems, there is no reason to make your problem everybody's problem - we already have our own.

You find other people's suffering inconvenient? Boy did you choose the right field to go into...

I actually never made that comparison, you are being completely disingenuous by making that stretch. If you would like to stretch my point, I compared being perceived Republican(which I am not) to being black. They are both baseless perceptions which largely amount to nothing, and the mind is great at filling in blanks for you as I am sure you should know, having studied it.

You THINK I am republican because I come from a traditionally republican state.
You THINK someone acts a certain way because they are black.

Honestly, what happened to me is WAY more discriminatory. You didn't even have a physical sense to back up your baseless claim!

You find other people's suffering inconvenient? Boy did you choose the right field to go into...
What is with you and speaking for people? You even quoted me! Its not inconvenient, its pitiful and doing harm to your patient. If a patient came to you with a victimized attitude regarding their weight would you tell them, "there, there it will all be better, people are just out to get you - forget them, live how you want" or would you try to help them take a meaningful step in the right direction?

I actually never made that comparison, you are being completely disingenuous by making that stretch. If you would like to stretch my point, I compared being perceived Republican(which I am not) to being black. They are both baseless perceptions which largely amount to nothing, and the mind is great at filling in blanks for you as I am sure you should know, having studied it.

Honestly, what happened to me is WAY more discriminatory. You didn't even have a physical sense to back up your baseless claim!

I didn't think you were anything, until you made it abundantly clear. Unfortunately the biopsy takes 2 weeks for confirmation though.

What is with you and speaking for people? You even quoted me! Its not inconvenient, its pitiful and doing harm to your patient. If a patient came to you with a victimized attitude regarding their weight would you tell them, "there, there it will all be better, people are just out to get you - forget them, live how you want" or would you try to help them take a meaningful step in the right direction?

I'm not speaking for you. I'm paraphrasing you.

I'm not sure why you're assuming it's mutually exclusive to acknowledge social stigmas towards obese people and in helping people deal with their weight.

To put what you are saying into a more concrete and explicit example is HIV/AIDs treatment and stigma. As doctors we need to address stigma, social issues, and the medical condition itself so that our patient not only medically improves but has a good quality of life. Because when the stigma is lessened not only do people stay on their meds, people also get tested more often and communities end up more healthy.

People DON'T assume you are Republican if you are from a hellhole like Idaho or Indiana or Mississippi. That is why we don't understand why you are so offended by this interview.

Reactions: 5 users

To answer your question, most of them are PC centers. Just keep your mouth shut and your nose on the grind. I almost got in trouble for a harmless comment after the election.....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP, I totally get where you are coming from, but you must admit, large parts of conservative ideology aren't tolerant and best for our patients. Hence, the PC/liberal ideologies reign supreme in med schools.

Can someone be conservative and be tolerant? Of course. But a good number are not and this spoils it for the rest. This leads to people typecasting you and demeaning you if you mention you are conservative/Republican.

I do think your comparison to it being black is valid due to being Black automatically makes you prone to certain prejudices which may or may not be true. ( Replace black with any group of people that can be typecasted. Doctors as being arrogant etc)

My advice to you OP is to keep your political beliefs to yourself except for the close friends you make in med school. But don't be afraid to speak your mind about politics if other people bring it up. Remain civil and respectful. If the other person gets offended, then they are not worth interacting with.

Last edited:
YES. lots of libs.

just gotta ignore the noise.

I wear "make america great again" hats to school at least once a week. I even wore a shirt that said "Save us Donald you're our only hope" that had him dressed as a Jedi right after he won the election to school just cause I know it will trigger somebody in my class...