Are my EC's weak?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-1500+ clinical hours--mostly scribing with small amount of volunteering (<30 hours over the past 5 months) I'm aware this amount of clinical time is strong but I feel there are many applicants with this amount of hours and more volunteer oriented.
-100 hours non-clinical volunteering-- tutoring, elementary classroom aid, manual labor
-1 healthcare leadership position
-involvement in 1 hospital quality control committee.
-involvement in 1 community project.
-few miscellaneous clubs.
-employed part-time all through college.
-50 hours total shadowing. 20-30 of which with DO PCP.
- 1 semester of research with no pubs.

Maybe SDN is just getting to my head, but I see some people's EC's on here and feel like i have nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No. SDN over exaggerates

You could continue cranking out volunteering if anything. I had roughly 200 hours and so did many others. You don't need 1k like I was told on sdn before.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, scribing is a huge bonus and you've got a good amount of hours. Volunteering is very important, but I think you're pretty set.

Honestly, scribing is a huge bonus and you've got a good amount of hours. Volunteering is very important, but I think you're pretty set.
I feel like sooooo many people scribe. Maybe it's just because I'm surrounded by other scribes all the time haha. Is scribing still considered a somewhat unique e/c?

You could continue cranking out volunteering if anything. I had roughly 200 hours and so did many others. You don't need 1k like I was told on sdn before.
It's looking like the best I can do is get my clinical volunteering to 45-50. Non-clinical volunteering is seasonal since my others ended.

Wow, just rechecked my application and I actually have 200+ non-clinical volunteering hours, so that makes me feel a little better.

You're fine. Just continue volunteering as you can that way you can say you're still involved in it during interviews.

A lot of people do have scribing experience (I did) so it's not unique but still a solid experience. They want you to do clinical volunteering/experience so that you know what you're getting yourself into

-1500+ clinical hours--mostly scribing with small amount of volunteering (<30 hours over the past 5 months) I'm aware this amount of clinical time is strong but I feel there are many applicants with this amount of hours and more volunteer oriented.
-100 hours non-clinical volunteering-- tutoring, elementary classroom aid, manual labor
-1 healthcare leadership position
-involvement in 1 hospital quality control committee.
-involvement in 1 community project.
-few miscellaneous clubs.
-employed part-time all through college.
-50 hours total shadowing. 20-30 of which with DO PCP.
- 1 semester of research with no pubs.

Maybe SDN is just getting to my head, but I see some people's EC's on here and feel like i have nothing.

Jeesh, you guys. I had like 100 volunteer clinical hours, and maybe about the same nonclinical hours, and about 20 hours of shadowing. You've proven you are interested in the field and not scared off after spending time in a hospital. Are you worried you haven't proven that you're interested in healthcare yet? You've demonstrated plenty of interest and that you're not scared off by a hospital, which is all you can prove with clinical exposure. You could add 3000 more hours and it wouldn't make a difference in your chances for acceptance.

Can someone chance my EC's
I'm looking to apply May 2018 (next cycle)
Stats currently cgpa 3.2 sgpa 2.87 (hopefully 3.0-3.1 after 16 cred retake/postbac
starting 2 years masters soon.
MCAT 506- 129/124/127/126
applying to in state MD's and a good chunk of DO schools

I worry I lack strong EC's, especially clinical
so far, here's what i have..
2 clinical research projects - no pubs - 500 hrs/each over 3 years
paid tutor to elementary school children over 2 summers (probably around 300 hours)
office accounting assistant over 1 summer- 150 hours
free health clinic volunteer in very underserved area- hoping for 200 by the time I apply - current only like 30-40
president of cultural org, formally public relations chair/advisor - 2 years
reading volunteer at underserved elementary school + board position in same org- 2 years
peer mentor - 2.5 years
shadowing; DO-20 hours MD:40-50ish

I don't want to take on too much while doing a masters because it's vital i get good grades.
I'll continue volunteering at the free health clinic bc it's been a great experience so far. 3-6 hours a week
I'm also thinking of mentoring hs students to help them with career choices in a low funded/low SES district- it's like 2-3 hours a week

but im worried about my clinical experience
my plan was to either get paid research position (working with an underserved population in neuroscience- something im super passionate about (may end up being clinical idk tho)
OR
become an ER research associate that basically enrolls people in various clinical studies. - not only on one project
AND
continue shadowing i guess.

Not sure if I'm on the right track..

Same thing for you. Your GPA is the only thing that is likely to be a problem. In fact, I'd say you should avoid anything at all that will distract you from getting good grades in your masters, because if you don't get good grades from here on, that could really kill your chances at acceptance. Tons and tons of clinical/volunteer hours won't make up for it, and it might make them think you have a hard time prioritizing the important stuff.

They showed us the cheat sheet they used at CU for admissions at some point, and they awarded points for amount of time with clinical exposure. It maxed out at either 100 or 200 hours, I can't remember. But if your clinical research involved being around patients at all then you are already set on that front.

I feel like sooooo many people scribe. Maybe it's just because I'm surrounded by other scribes all the time haha. Is scribing still considered a somewhat unique e/c?

A lot of people do it, but it's extremely valuable experience, without a doubt.