Are my extracurriculars solid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Snow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a junior and I wanted to your opinions on whether or not my extracurriculars are up to par for an MD program.

RA for 2 and 1/2 years
GSS leader (basically tutoring) for 2 and 1/2 years (paid)
Peer Mentor for 2 (paid)
OMSE Academic Excellence Society member for 3 years
200 hospital volunteering hours
1 semester of research in fish and 1 summer of research in cancer disparities (no pubs)
Premed society member for 2 and 1/2 years
Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) member for 2 years

Ive read so many posts about people with amazing extracurriculars, so I just wanted an update as to where I stand for an MD program. By the way, I'm not a URM and a Maryland resident. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any shadowing yet, I'm trying to get that this year. What did you mean by clinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any shadowing yet, I'm trying to get that this year. What did you mean by clinical?

Hands-on experience with patients... not as easy to get since you usually need some certification to get that opportunity, but it helps a lot.

Oh I haven't really had anything like that.

You need to gain clinical exposure through employent or volunteerism. Think CNA at a nursing home, volunteer at a hospital ED or clinic, etc. Aim for 30 to 40 hours of shadowing.

You need to gain clinical exposure through employent or volunteerism. Think CNA at a nursing home, volunteer at a hospital ED or clinic, etc. Aim for 30 to 40 hours of shadowing.
This sums it up.

I understand the need for shadowing but OP said that they have volunteered/currently volunteers in a hospital. I would assume that counts as clinical experience.

I understand the need for shadowing but OP said that they have volunteered/currently volunteers in a hospital. I would assume that counts as clinical experience.

Oops didn't see that before. In that case, OP, continue what you're doing at the hospital and get in some shadowing.

There are definitely a lot of thing you can improve. Your ECs seem to be mostly academic based and limited to "member" of a club. You should try to get leadership positions and get more involved in these clubs. Being more committed in a research lab (maybe getting a pub) and doing some 1on1 shadowing will help you round out your application. Anyone can be a member of a club just by paying dues, so those 3 ECs are meaningless if you cant expand upon them.

Bump

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk