Are my preconceptions of the app process correct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting my application process next summer, and I wanted to know if my concepts of the whole ordeal are correct:

1) No letter of recommendations are needed for the AMCAS application.

2) Reccommendations are only needed for the secondary applications.

3. Most medical schools in the U.S. accept transcripts, LORs, etc, delivered by Interfolio

4) Most medical schools doesn't prescreen so if I receive a secondary application I probably shouldn't be happy

5) I'll need about $2,000 for the whole process (If I'm apply to 11 schools)

6) The AMCAS comes on, on June 1st, but even if I fill out the whole application on that day, I won't be VERIFIED until they get my transcript

7) Medical schools don't have acess to your AMCAS applications until July 1st, even if you are applying EDP

8) It may not be good to do EDP anywhere because if medical schools know you want to go to their school really bad they'll be less inclined to give you scholarships

9) You should only apply EDP if you have already talked to the admissions director or dean of the school you are interested in

If you all could either confirm or clear up any of these I would be very happy.

Members don't see this ad.

doctajay said:
I'll be starting my application process next summer, and I wanted to know if my concepts of the whole ordeal are correct:

1) No letter of recommendations are needed for the AMCAS application.

2) Reccommendations are only needed for the secondary applications.

3. Most medical schools in the U.S. accept transcripts, LORs, etc, delivered by Interfolio

4) Most medical schools doesn't prescreen so if I receive a secondary application I probably shouldn't be happy

5) I'll need about $2,000 for the whole process (If I'm apply to 11 schools)

6) The AMCAS comes on, on June 1st, but even if I fill out the whole application on that day, I won't be VERIFIED until they get my transcript

7) Medical schools don't have acess to your AMCAS applications until July 1st, even if you are applying EDP

8) It may not be good to do EDP anywhere because if medical schools know you want to go to their school really bad they'll be less inclined to give you scholarships

9) You should only apply EDP if you have already talked to the admissions director or dean of the school you are interested in

If you all could either confirm or clear up any of these I would be very happy.

3. I don't know why you would use interfolio for transcripts, but they work great for LORs.

5. Cost will vary. That's probably enough just for applications, but not interviews.

8. Never heard of that.

The rest look right to me.

AMCAS is available May 1, but can't be submitted until June 1; so if you send in your transcript requests early, they should be there by the time you submit

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Usu. only AMCAS requires transcripts and those would get sent straight from the schools. But Interfolio is great for LORs.
4) Generally true, but at some schools it means something (for instance Vandy gives you a secondary and interview all at once and only about 1/4 of the pool gets this)
5) The AMCAS is $130 + $30 per school. Secondaries range from $50 to $115ish, mean around $90 (in my experience). Plus airfare and lodging for interviews that are far away. Interfolio is $15+$5/school you mail stuff to . . . it starts adding up.
6/7) Not sure.
8) Don't know about this one, but what does happen is if you get defered or rejected you can not start the application process anywhere until that school has rendered their decision. For rolling schools that means you are starting late. Besides, it is possible to hear as early as 10/15 applying regular decision.
9) Couldn't hurt. What they'll probably tell you is "If you're sure, then apply EDP." However, some schools (MCV for instance) actually say that applying EDP is discouraged and they consider getting in early an honor so you'd best be highly qualified. So, something to consider carefully.

1) Yes. But it is a good idea to have them ready to go by then.

2) Yes.

3) Yes for LORs, but for transcripts, you just send have your school(s) send them directly to AMCAS (they have a form you print out and give to the registrar), and then AMCAS kindly passes your grades on to the schools. You don't need to send transcripts to individual schools until you matriculate there.

4) It depends on the school. The MSAR says which do and don't screen, but even then there is a lot of variability in how much it means. For example, Vanderbilt interviews everybody they send a secondary to, while others might just want a 3.0+ or something.

5) $2,000 sounds about right for AMCAS and secondaries, but then there's interviews, which can cost a lot if you're flying all around the country.

6) You can send in your transcripts early (before June 1st), but it does still take some time to verify everything (like a week)

7) I've never heard of that. Does it say that on the AMCAS website somewhere?

8/9) Most people don't do EDP. I've heard that you should only do it if you have a very strong and specific interest in a school, and you are well qualified too. A lot of schools don't even offer it.

tacrum43 said:
3) Yes for LORs, but for transcripts, you just send have your school(s) send them directly to AMCAS (they have a form you print out and give to the registrar), and then AMCAS kindly passes your grades on to the schools. You don't need to send transcripts to individual schools until you matriculate there.

There's at least one exception to this rule: UWisc asks for transcripts with your secondary. (Apparently AMCAS isn't good enough for them :p )

Everything else looks pretty spot on.

TheDarkSide said:
There's at least one exception to this rule: UWisc asks for transcripts with your secondary. (Apparently AMCAS isn't good enough for them :p )

Everything else looks pretty spot on.

Oh, okay. My bad. Wisconsin didn't even want to see my transcripts, so I wouldn't know. ;)