Are my research experiences considered significant/competitive for Md/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingFocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for ANY university really:

Freshman year: Worked with Public Health on 2 projects. My participation was not so involved. It was mostly putting together the papers and looking them over and data compilation. Oh, and it was with my dad. I have 2 publications

Summer after freshman year: Worked in a lab, very hands on, isolating and culturing cells. I was the only person working on this project, however, it was kind of a fail, but I learned a lot and spend a ton of time every single day in the lab.

Also, worked in a Surgery research department writing case reports. I came out with 1 publication.

Sophomore year: Worked on an Organic Synthesis research project. Produced one poster and presented this at 2 conventions.

Summer after sophomore year--> Junior year: Worked on the same research lab from last summer with more success. I have 1 publication, I am the primary author, and one poster. The poster was presented at 1 convention.

Junior year: Worked in an Organic Chemistry lab. I taught people in the lab, and the professor how to isolate and culture cells.

Is this enough? Do I seem competitive enough?? I am just concerned because I know that many people stress working in ONE lab for like 4 years but I've been involved with various projects.

?? Oh, and my MCAT and GPA are competitive...I'm just concerned about the research experience for now!??!

Members don't see this ad.

I am just concerned because I know that many people stress working in ONE lab for like 4 years but I've been involved with various projects.

Concisely, it looks like 2 years of chemistry research and a year of public health and clinical research.

It's fine. I'd recommend continuing to do basic research if that's the type of PhD you want, but your background looks very competitive to me.

I had two summers of research. I think you will be fine