MD/PhD undergrad research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermage

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a rising sophomore hoping to get an MD/PhD in the future. I'm a little worried about my research since it's pure physics research in hydrodynamics/water droplets. Is this still good for MD/PhD as long as I'm committed to it, or does the research have to be biologically/medically relevant?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Research is research. That being said, most physician-scientists will do some sort of research with obvious clinical translation. Most of the applicants you're competing with have done some sort of basic science research with clinical implications which might make your application stand out in a bad way.

Also, you're just a sophomore. You have 2 years + gap years to try to find some basic science research.

Reactions: 2 users
Research is research. That being said, most physician-scientists will do some sort of research with obvious clinical translation. Most of the applicants you're competing with have done some sort of basic science research with clinical implications which might make your application stand out in a bad way.

Also, you're just a sophomore. You have 2 years + gap years to try to find some basic science research.
Would research about centromeres in yeast count as good basic science research? I know it isn't directly clinical, but it's definitely closer to clinical translation than hydrodynamics.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've got plenty of time. Listen to @Fencer since he actually is in charge of an MSTP, and I am not.

When I was on the interview trail (back before virtual interviews) I remember talking to a student who had worked at Fermilab studying dark matter prior to MD/PhD, and if I remember correctly his PhD research applied his quantitative skills from physics to analyzing protein folding or something similar.

With an additional reminder to listen to those who know more than I do, I would say that as long as 1) you know and understand your research, and 2) you can speak to why you want to do MD/PhD and how you want to apply your research skills there, you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 users