Are part time classes frowned upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjlamb77

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will have a liberal arts degree this December, but I have decided I want to become a doctor. I have zero of the required prereqs. Does anyone know if med schools frown upon getting your prereqs done part time? I know they want to see you can handle the classes, but I have to be working full time to pay the bills. I have a 3.9 undergrad gpa, so if I take my prereqs within a reasonable time frame and make good grades, will I be okay? Of course assuming everything else is in place.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can do well in the classes you take while working full time, that says a lot about your ability to handle a high load. Continue to work, keep cracking away at the classes, and shadow some physicians. You will be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking only one or two classes at a time is sometimes the only reasonable option for folks working full-time. It doesn't really matter how long your pre-reqs take (within reason), as long as you perform well in all of them. One thing to keep in mind: Try to find the classes you need at 4 year schools before you go the community college route. Larger state school campuses will occasionally offer evening sections at prices that are comparable to community college offerings.

So I will have a liberal arts degree this December, but I have decided I want to become a doctor. I have zero of the required prereqs. Does anyone know if med schools frown upon getting your prereqs done part time? I know they want to see you can handle the classes, but I have to be working full time to pay the bills. I have a 3.9 undergrad gpa, so if I take my prereqs within a reasonable time frame and make good grades, will I be okay? Of course assuming everything else is in place.

They aren't frowned upon when you have a full time job and maintained a 3.9. Best of luck.

No such thing as "part time classes." A part time schedule is definitely acceptable, provided that you are actually doing something with the rest of your day, which it seems that you are.

Agree with what others have said. Most people doing a 2-year post-bac route take classes part-time while working or doing research, etc. You'll be fine :).