Are resumes generally sent online now?

Started by Pharfalle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharfalle

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have my resume and cover letter ready to go, but every job I look at only lists information for how to apply online. Also, most of them don't even have a place to add a cover letter, and I wrote a fantastic cover letter that I want to use! 🙂

Can I still just mail in my information the old way? Or is online the way to do it now? I also can't find any names of contact people.
 
You plan on using one cover letter for every opportunity? You need to customize that ****.

Oh absolutely! I would definitely change parts of it for each position. I really think it would enhance my chances though compared to my resume alone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep, pretty much everything is online now. Usually applications do have some place for additional information, or additional attachments, so you can get your cover letter in that way.

Another way, which could actually be more effective, is to find out who the hiring manager is (or at least, who the HR contact for the position is), and to e-mail your resume directly to him or her, with your cover letter serving as the body of the e-mail.

And yes, cover letters have to be very much customized towards specific company and specific position to be of any use...
 
just be sure to bring a few physical copies (laser printed, thick paper) to your interview, you wouldn't believe how many people don't do this, or when they do, it's some nasty ink jet printout on cheap paper.