1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Are Secondaries More Important than Primary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kelpy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. kelpy

kelpy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

deleted

#1 kelpy, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most schools DO NOT screen before sending out secondaries.

4. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Is it just me, or do secondaries seem like a huge pool of money for schools. For instance, if 5000 people apply and the secondary costs $80 each, then the school gets $400k! No wonder few screen.

5. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, but that's JUST from the secondaries. My understanding is that schools receive money from the primaries as well (thus why the price goes up for each school you apply to) AND, don't forget all those people who put down $100+ deposits to hold acceptances and then go to a different school instead! The application process is a HUGE fundraiser for schools. I've even seen schools that list "application income" as a separate line item in their financial statements.

6. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

i figure that the primary is the thing that contains vital info like gpa/mcat. secondaries are just a source of revenue. i did not complete a single secondary that asked me something that one could not get from amcas. i don't count the "why this school" question, because i think it's stupid.

7. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    application income! :laugh:

8. laurenem

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I def agree with this to some extent, it is a HUGE source of revenue for them; however, some secondaries do ask for things not in amcas. For example, Dartmouths essay explicitly asks you to write an essay about something NOT listed in your amcas app. I think it depends school to school which they use more, secondary vs primary. Some only use amcas and others use some combination of both.

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no "more important" in med school applications. Any portion of the application process can keep you out of med school if you screw it up. Treat everything as extremely important, and you will do fine. Most adcoms consider the primary and secondary applications as one giant application and treat it as a unit. Several interviewers will even have the whole mess stapled together when you get to the interview. Don't treat it as less important, any more than you would treat the second half of a term paper less important...