Are shelf questions usually the same level of detail and critical thinking as step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

OME occasionally states that certain topics may show up on the shelf but not the step exams and it got me thinking - are shelves really the same detail and level of critical thinking as the step exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty close. Just remember that when you take step, a lot of those questions won't count towards your score. So if you come across some questions out of left field, don't be too shocked.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, the shelf exams tend to be in more depth/detail but less critical thinking in my opinion. If you know the secret to what they usually test on the shelf, you'll do fine. Step involves more critical thinking and across multiple disciplines so it can be hard. You can't compartmentalize for example, On a neurology shelf, you're probably not going to get a lot of answers that focus on other organ systems. But not the case on the actual Step.

Reactions: 1 users
No, the shelf exams tend to be in more depth/detail but less critical thinking in my opinion. If you know the secret to what they usually test on the shelf, you'll do fine. Step involves more critical thinking and across multiple disciplines so it can be hard. You can't compartmentalize for example, On a neurology shelf, you're probably not going to get a lot of answers that focus on other organ systems. But not the case on the actual Step.
Maybe, but your studying is not going to change. If you do shelf questions in UWorld and then change the mode to Step 2CK, they are the exact same questions, just reorganized. I personally didn't see a drastic difference. After doing my UWorld, my practice exams, and putting the data into a score estimator, it was spot on. But to each his own/her own.

Reactions: 1 user