Are Step 2 Scores Important for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jackflash

Now that I matched, I'm wondering whether Step 2 scores matter for fellowship? I just took Step 2, and am pretty sure that I scored lower than Step 1. But by the time I apply for fellowship, will this score really matter? I would appreciate any comment from those of you who have gone through the fellowship process.:love:

Members don't see this ad.

And while we're on the issue, what are some key steps toward securing a decent fellowship position. I'm currently interested in Retina.

Step 2 score does not matter for fellowship.

In fact, step 1 score doesn't really matter either.

Very few fellowship applications even ask for USMLE scores - ones that do, sort of by convention, your USMLE score will have no influence on whether you match well in your fellowship.

If you just matched, enjoy yourself, especially during the internship. You can worry about fellowship later. Besides, you may not even like retina! ENJOY LIFE!

Other stuff will come, trust me...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with GlaucomaMD...

Slow down and enjoy your residency! ;)

You'll have plenty of time to decide what you want to do for fellowship.

The only thing that matters regarding the USMLE is passing all three steps. There was a fellow at a highly prestigious program that didn't take Step 3 until months before he finished residency. He matched for fellowship but failed Step 3. Without this Step, physicians cannot get a license and cannot be a clinical fellow. He was dismissed from his fellowship program.

Take Step 3 in your internship and get it over with.

Good luck and have fun with residency!

smile10.gif

I'm assuming that for a person who didn't match this year and who plans on reapplying next year, Step 2 scores do matter. . .but what about step 3? I've been talking to a few people who recommend taking step 3 as soon as possible, ie right after graduation. From what I've been hearing it is within reason to pass it at that point, but you probably won't have a stellar score, not having done your intern year and all. I'm trying to arrange a research year for this coming year and I figure I may as well try and pass it once and just get it out of the way, but if I get a barely passing score will that come back to haunt me during the application process?

Originally posted by odieoh
I'm assuming that for a person who didn't match this year and who plans on reapplying next year, Step 2 scores do matter. . .but what about step 3? I've been talking to a few people who recommend taking step 3 as soon as possible, ie right after graduation. From what I've been hearing it is within reason to pass it at that point, but you probably won't have a stellar score, not having done your intern year and all. I'm trying to arrange a research year for this coming year and I figure I may as well try and pass it once and just get it out of the way, but if I get a barely passing score will that come back to haunt me during the application process?

Step 3 will have less of an influence for matching because this score can't be used to compare with the senior applicant pool.

Also, you need to check with the state that you're applying to take step 3. Many states require that you complete a certain amount of internship before you're eligible for Step 3.

Good luck!